Building a DIY 55 gallon barrel filter...need input.

Reaction score
This thread is pretty old now but I didn't want to start a new one. So this filter system has been working amazingly well since I built it back in 2012. It moved with me to our new house back in 2016 and is just great. I used to have to clean it out every 6-8 months but now it goes easily a year plus and never shows signs of needing to be cleaned (I just clean it anyway about every 1.5 years) and my water is always crystal clear.

So I built a smaller pond to house my babies about a year ago or so. I've been struggling with filtering the pond all this time. Been using a store bought canister filter with foam and lava rocks but it needs to be cleaned every week and even then the pond is always looking like crap, cant see the bottom and recently the pond started stinking.

I finally decided to build another 55 gallon filter system. Last time I spent well over $400 to do the first one because I had no idea what I was doing and bought things I didn't need, screwed up things I did, etc etc...

This time I knew exactly what was needed and kept the entire thing down to $200 (includes: two 55 food grade drums, all the different sized rocks, pipes, valves etc...)

Built it on Sunday, had it running in the system on Monday night and by Tuesday morning the pond is crystal clear and the smell is gone completely.

This time I used Uni-Seals instead of bulk-heads and WOW do these work so much easier. They do indeed curve to the barrel and seal perfectly without the use of a sealant. Fantastic!

IMO the only filter system to use is one of these DIY units. They filter unbelievably well and cost less than any of the really great retail units and I'd bet the DIY units perform better too.

I found getting the 2" PVC pipe through the Uni-seal almost impossible even lubbed up so I used my jig-saw to shave some plastic off the edge....pipe went right in after that.
IMG_0051r.jpg

I tried to keep it simple this time so went with the bare minimum of piping.
Also i could not find any food grade barrels with lids for cheap so I picked up two and just cut the tops off. I cut it in a way that it can work as a lid.

IMG_0052r.jpg

IMG_0053r.jpg

IMG_0054r.jpg
IMG_0055r.jpg

IMG_0056r.jpg
IMG_0057r.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I like the barrel idea. I am working on an upgraded DIY using a flat-sided trash can on wheels (using bulkhead fittings, the flat sides help with a good seal - I'll switch to Uni-Seals next time for sure) but I had pin-hole leaks around the axle area by the wheels. Full tube of silicone sealant applied inside around the leak area, 72 hours for cure, still tiny leaks. Now two full tubes of another type of clear sealant poured over entire leaking area - but incredibly slow cure rate; still soft to the touch. EVENTUALLY I'll get it up and running. In the mean time the 16 year old filter keeps chugging away...

Reaction score
Love our 55 gallon sand & gravel filter :)

Sand you say? Do you use it as the top layer for fine filtration? I never thought of that. I've always used chic feed myself but this sounds interesting. I have a big bag of fine sand too. Gonna look into this. My only concern is the sand just going down through the layers and clogging my air line.

Reaction score
I like the barrel idea. I am working on an upgraded DIY using a flat-sided trash can on wheels (using bulkhead fittings, the flat sides help with a good seal - I'll switch to Uni-Seals next time for sure) but I had pin-hole leaks around the axle area by the wheels. Full tube of silicone sealant applied inside around the leak area, 72 hours for cure, still tiny leaks. Now two full tubes of another type of clear sealant poured over entire leaking area - but incredibly slow cure rate; still soft to the touch. EVENTUALLY I'll get it up and running. In the mean time the 16 year old filter keeps chugging away...

Why not just pick up a food grade barrel? I paid $12 for each of mine off craigslist. And bulk heads do work but they do leak too so they have to be sealed with a sealer. Uniseals need nothing and solely rely on the pressure of the pipe running through them to keep them sealed and water tight. I'm telling you right now that these are a blessing and cheap too on amazon.

I do recall reading on this site that one person likes to heat up the barrel where their bulkhead will be mounted to flatten out the spot which helps the bulk head seal better. If you are using the bulk head on a flat surface I figure you are good to go.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Sand you say? Do you use it as the top layer for fine filtration? I never thought of that. I've always used chic feed myself but this sounds interesting. I have a big bag of fine sand too. Gonna look into this. My only concern is the sand just going down through the layers and clogging my air line.
Sand is misleading....I too use granite chicken grit......but the plans I used for the filter call it a Sand & Gravel filter :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Why not just pick up a food grade barrel? I paid $12 for each of mine off craigslist. And bulk heads do work but they do leak too so they have to be sealed with a sealer. Uniseals need nothing and solely rely on the pressure of the pipe running through them to keep them sealed and water tight. I'm telling you right now that these are a blessing and cheap too on amazon.

I do recall reading on this site that one person likes to heat up the barrel where their bulkhead will be mounted to flatten out the spot which helps the bulk head seal better. If you are using the bulk head on a flat surface I figure you are good to go.

Well, the short answer is stubbornness, combined with a heavy Scotch-Irish cheapness that compels me to keep working on this trash can until it's water-tight. The bulkheads were siliconed on both sides and are good. I've used a Dremel to carefully sculpt a plastic milk-crate to fit the weird shape of the bottom of the trash can to support the filter media. If the last batch of sealing material will cure, I'll put it in service...if it leaks again I'll set it all on fire and roast some weenies.

Reaction score
Tula- Do you keep your sand and gravel filter running through winter? (I'm close to Cincy too).

Fyi- the "traditional" sand and gravel filters do work amazingly. I just completed mine not too long ago before the end of summer and it cleared my green pond out in a day. They are so easy to clean as well. I should have made one years ago.

Reaction score
Tula- Do you keep your sand and gravel filter running through winter? (I'm close to Cincy too).

Fyi- the "traditional" sand and gravel filters do work amazingly. I just completed mine not too long ago before the end of summer and it cleared my green pond out in a day. They are so easy to clean as well. I should have made one years ago.

Winters here are mild compared to there but I run my system all year round. I would imagine you would continue to run yours too. Even in winter the pond requires filtering and you don't want the hoses, and pipes to freeze up. Having the water flowing should keep them from freezing I would think.

Reaction score
Firstly I do not use sand. Mine is used with rocks to pebbles in layers. That said it does require a pump. Gravity alone would not do it.

Keep in mind the water enters the filter at the bottom of the barrel and fills up to the top where by that time it is cleaned and sent back to pond.

I have been into aquariums and ponds for years now and in all my experience this filter system is the best. I mean I only clean them once a year and its not even needed. its basically self cleaning. So cool.

Reaction score
To gravity feed into the barrel it would have to be below the pond but then what would force the water up through the filter and then back into the pond? If anything it would partially fill up the filter and then just go stagnant. You would need gravity to push the level up and gravity to get it back to the pond.

Why not just run a small pump?

Ask a Question