sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
So you have to dig up the footers .That can be a lot of work .Great that you are thinking ahead

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
The new staircase is done!
...now we need to build the railing to close where the old stairs were, and then we'll start laying out the pond.....I hope we get it right the first time!
smscared2.gif

Attachments

• runningsidetoside.gif
    runningsidetoside.gif
    4 KB · Views: 405
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
If not the 3rd times the charm they say :woot:
Lol don't even say that!:eek::D

Hmmm... explain more about the waterfall and skimmer on the same side? Traditionally those would be placed opposite each other.
Yes the waterfall and skimmer will (if we don't change our minds) be on the same side , somewhat close to one another, but they will be installed in separate ponds.
The water coming out of the fall won't be able to go straight back into the skimmer, first it will have to travel along the plants, the whole length of the pond, then spill into the second pond, and travel the whole length back to reach the skimmer. The water will make a complete circle...or at least that's the plan :)

I remember reading something about "how to make the folds of the liner when installing", can someone please remind me what it was?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Yes the waterfall and skimmer will (if we don't change our minds) be on the same side , somewhat close to one another, but they will be installed in separate ponds.
The water coming out of the fall won't be able to go straight back into the skimmer, first it will have to travel along the plants, the whole length of the pond, then spill into the second pond, and travel the whole length back to reach the skimmer. The water will make a complete circle...or at least that's the plan :)

Well, that sounds interesting! Still not sure I understand what you mean, but it sounds like you do, so that's all that matters!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Well, that sounds interesting! Still not sure I understand what you mean, but it sounds like you do, so that's all that matters!
Oh c'mon ..I suck at explaining,I know, but I thought I did a good job there:D:D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a/b
Country
United States
Some thoughts on WF and skimmer placement. You maybe creating dead spots and areas of low oxygen on the opposite end of the pond with the WF and skimmer on the same side. The water flowing out of the WF will be directed towards the skimmer due to the pulling/sucking action created by the pump. Assuming you place the pump in the skimmer.
As Lisak1 stated traditionally they are placed on opposite sides. This is true for aquariums as well placing intakes and returns on opposite sides of the tank.

I understand what you are trying to achieve with a circular flow but don't think you will get that action with your current plans . My water fall /stream and skimmers are on opposite sides of an oval shaped pond. My observations are
When the pond is full the water entering from the stream pushes towards the skimmers and there is still a circular motion . The water entering the pond is angled to one side.
BUT when the water level is down an inch or more the water entering the pond drops in with less pushing force across the pond.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
@Gemma, if it helps I understand your setup. Pretty much 2 parallel ponds with the skimmer and waterfalls located physically next to each other, but one in each pond, with the spillway connecting the two ponds at the opposite end.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
@Gemma, if it helps I understand your setup. Pretty much 2 parallel ponds with the skimmer and waterfalls located physically next to each other, but one in each pond, with the spillway connecting the two ponds at the opposite end.
Yes!
Thank you,@Jhn , that is exactly what I've been trying to explain!
So now do you think it would work ok giving that we use adequate pump, skimmer and fall size??

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Yes, I think it would be fine. Since as far as circulation is concerned you put the skimmer and falls at opposite ends of the ponds.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Yes, I think it would be fine. Since as far as circulation is concerned you put the skimmer and falls at opposite ends of the ponds.
Thank you!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
This is how hubby plans on doing the footings....any thoughts?

footings.jpg

Ask a Question