Building pond in Israel by a Granny!

YShahar

Enthusiastic duct-tape engineer
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
I think galvanized material in contact with pond water can lead to trouble for fish.

Interesting! Thanks for the heads up. I'll have to see what else is available locally. Even thought of buying a cheap volleyball net and stringing that across the pond just below the surface.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Well, the repeated visits from the kingfisher took a toll on our fish population. We had put four small comets and five shubunkins in the pond and pretty much as soon as the water cleared enough to really see them, they had been gobbled up. Aaargh!

Something had to be done, and fast. Netting the whole pond was out, since a) the pond is meant to be part of a larger landscape and I didn't want anything interfering with the reflections off the water, the lines of sight, etc. and b) for the most part, I want the local wildlife, including birds, to have access to the pond. So what do do?

Fortunately, being in Israel, figuring out how to defend against bad stuff falling from the sky is something of a local specialty. Hence, we have cool gadgets like Iron Dome to protect us against missiles fired by our friendly neighbors, etc. And so, without further ado, I give you...

Iron Net!

View attachment 151663

View attachment 151665
View attachment 151668

Basically, this is just a bit of fencing material stretched across the pond and floated on ziplock bags full of wine corks. Not exactly beautiful, but it works! For now, I've put it only over the "hallway" used by the fish to go from the deep zone to the waterfall. I've also put it around the waterfall, where it's almost invisible:

View attachment 151664

Meanwhile, the plants in the new planting zone are thriving! The red canna is especially pretty when the late afternoon sunlight turns its leaves to stained glass:

View attachment 151666

And lastly, here's an overview, where you can see the netting. Not overly obtrusive, but still more visible than I'd like.

View attachment 151667

In order to make it look a bit less obtrusive, I'll be replacing the cork bags with some (admittedly slightly tacky) plastic water lily thingys. That way, I can lower the fencing to just a bit below the surface and suspend it from above. Pics to follow!
You could get some marine spray paint and do a camo pattern on the wire if nothing else it will break up the uniform color

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
With all your vegetation the low trees etc could you do like I did and encircle the open areas if the pond take away the birds flight patth. Larger birds that is use golf netting

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Wonder if you put a couple hundred minnows in there if the population could maintain its self provided you gave them enough hiding places.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Interesting! Thanks for the heads up. I'll have to see what else is available locally. Even thought of buying a cheap volleyball net and stringing that across the pond just below the surface.
Make sure the holes are large enough to not trap other critters. I had a small weave net, it trapped small birds, frogs, poof gone. Now just a wide weave net used.

YShahar

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
Make sure the holes are large enough to not trap other critters. I had a small weave net, it trapped small birds, frogs, poof gone. Now just a wide weave net used.
The holes of the current fence material are definitely large enough for most critters to get through. Since it's in the pond, rather than above it, I'm mostly concerned that the fish can make it through the net in order to come to the surface to eat. No problem there! Even the larger ones swim right through it. A full-sized koi probably couldn't get through it, but once we have fish of that size, I won't need the net. No kingfisher is going to take on a fully-grown koi!

Last edited:

YShahar

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
With all your vegetation the low trees etc could you do like I did and encircle the open areas if the pond take away the birds flight patth. Larger birds that is use golf netting
The thing is, I actually want the birds to visit the pond; just not to eat the fish! And kingfishers don't need much of a flight path. They hover just above the surface and dive right in. So far, the underwater fencing seems to be doing the trick. We may have lost one of the new goldfish I bought since putting the fencing in, though I'm not sure it got eaten or died and I just haven't found it. It was an all-white fish, so an easy target for a kingfisher. But so far, so good!

YShahar

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
Love the net idea. I have something similar in mind if we run into issues after adding fish. Still trying to determine how to suspend it. Was thinking of drilling eye bolts into the rocks a few inches below water line and supporting it that way.

I like the lily pad idea, too.
After having the ziplock bags of corks get repeatedly dislodged, I finally just drilled holes in the corks and strung them along pieces of bonsai wire, then formed the wires into a ring, with more corks-on-wires forming "spokes" across the ring. This way, I can suspend the fencing from above. I did put in a couple of the floating lily pads, though they don't take a lot of weight. Here's a photo of one of my "corks-on-a-wire" floats:

Netting and goldfish_16June22-web.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
After having the ziplock bags of corks get repeatedly dislodged, I finally just drilled holes in the corks and strung them along pieces of bonsai wire, then formed the wires into a ring, with more corks-on-wires forming "spokes" across the ring. This way, I can suspend the fencing from above. I did put in a couple of the floating lily pads, though they don't take a lot of weight. Here's a photo of one of my "corks-on-a-wire" floats:

View attachment 151767
Throw some moss or something on them that loves to have there feet wet . Floating island turn a need to a pleasure. I understand the birds to the pond desire we always want more and your right about the king Fisher I know they do not need the area to take off like the hero and osprey do they are the two bag boys in this area. I two would welcome a king to go for the numerous babies I have

YShahar

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
Throw some moss or something on them that loves to have there feet wet .

Moss?!? What is this "moss" of which you speak?

Not a thing in our climate, except tiny colonies on the rocks during the winter.

Floating island turn a need to a pleasure.

I'll figure out some way to make it look better.

I understand the birds to the pond desire we always want more and your right about the king Fisher I know they do not need the area to take off like the hero and osprey do they are the two bag boys in this area. I two would welcome a king to go for the numerous babies I have

I'm enjoying watching the birds in general, and even the kingfishers are a pleasure to see, once I know they can't get to my fish. I may have lost another of the smaller ones over the past 24 hours, but can't be sure.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Moss?!? What is this "moss" of which you speak?

Not a thing in our climate, except tiny colonies on the rocks during the winter.

I'll figure out some way to make it look better.

I'm enjoying watching the birds in general, and even the kingfishers are a pleasure to see, once I know they can't get to my fish. I may have lost another of the smaller ones over the past 24 hours, but can't be sure.
OK ok I get it I'm thinking like a Yankee. I'll put on my yankapour. Hack job in spelling I know. Take some dang palms grind them up mix with super glue and wha la clumps of greenery

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
OK ok I get it I'm thinking like a Yankee. I'll put on my yankapour. Hack job in spelling I know. Take some dang palms grind them up mix with super glue and wha la clumps of greenery
eVEN IF YOU go to a stream or pond i know there's not a lot. and in the shade there's no moss? i'll mail you some it will be your favorite plant.

YShahar

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
eVEN IF YOU go to a stream or pond i know there's not a lot. and in the shade there's no moss? i'll mail you some it will be your favorite plant.
Well, it can be found around streams and such. In fact, we visited the Banias falls two weeks back, and you should have seen the moss and ferns! Stunning! However, it's a nature preserve, so no taking any moss home. I may be able to find some at the Yarkon River park, not all that far from me. Just been too busy tour guiding and pond building and book editing and book writing and house cleaning and opening doors for cats....

YShahar

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
If you ignore them long enough, some cats will learn to open the door themselves. They do make quite a racket before taking on the challenge, though. And then you might wish they hadn't learned.
Right you are! We had one who could open any door in the place (and would even jiggle the keys in the door, having figured out that if the door handle didn't do the trick, the keys had something to do with it). He would also slide open the windows to go in or out.

Ask a Question