Building pond in Israel by a Granny!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My guess? Ultimately, YShahar 1: Rock 0
sounds like @YShahar is going to leave a bit of herself behind on this one i saw what she did to get the other boulder out . so if this ones a challenge it looks like its going to take a pound of flesh with it.
CAN YOU WORK A 45 POUND JACK HAMMER? THEY HAVE A ROCK DRILL SAME CONCEPT AS DEMO BUT IT CHEWS UP ROCK BUT YOU'LL NEED A COMPRESSOR/ a road compressor

YShahar

Enthusiastic duct-tape engineer
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
Well, it's been a while since I've updated this thread. A lot has happened in the interim, including work on the bog, the unexpected discovery of an Aquascape centipede and aquablocks here in Israel, many trials and tribulations getting the bog rebuilt to fit the centipede, much sorting of rock to go in the bog... But I won't bore you with all of that; I'll just upload a few pics later on. For now, I want to relate something that warmed my heart and restored my faith in our future...

Two months back we bought a few tons of river rock for the garden, but the truck driver wasn't able to deliver it to our yard. The slope was too far down and the hazard of power lines was too great. So I had him drop the bags off at the top of the slope of the empty plot next to ours. But of course that raised the problem of how to get all that rock down the slope and over to our yard. I put together two lengths of sewage pipe and an elbow that allowed us to shovel the rocks in and slide it down a bit lower on the slope. But still, that's a lot of rock to move!

And then, yesterday afternoon, I heard a couple of kids in the vacant lot next door. "Hey guys!" I yelled at them, "Be careful of snakes over there!"

Well, they wanted to know what kind of snakes. And what's this sewage pipe for? And what's with this big pile of rocks?

So I told them the story of the truck driver and the rocks and how I was building a Japanese style garden and was slowly moving the rocks down the pipe and over to the garden one bucket at a time. I showed them the pond and the fish and the paths where the rock would one day go.

"We can help!" said Nadav. "Sure!" said Ilay. "Tomorrow, we'll bring our friends and start moving rocks!"

And sure enough, today at 13:30, as the 2nd grade kids started home from school, there were Ilay and Nadav and two friends--Emma and Ido--ready to start moving rock.

And move rock they did! They worked together to pour river rock into the pipe, shovel it into a wheelbarrow at the bottom of the slope, and then sort it into buckets in the yard. They figured out how to tie the pipe so it would stay in place and how to rig up an empty bag so that the rocks would flow into it just so. In short, they set up an assembly line!

By the end of the day, they'd reduced a 1-ton bag by half, sorted about four large buckets of rock, finished the Shabbat leftovers (including a basket of cherry tomatoes and a plate of cookies), and made themselves completely at home.

If this is what these kids are like at 9 years old, well, I feel that our future is assured!

IMG_7373.jpeg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It says volume about how faith and family. Not to mention the sorry old women these kids helped to build her dream, it speaks volumes for who you are @YShahar .

I love the fact that the parents have still been active and not relied on teachers to point the way. At least that's the way it is all to often here in the states.
I love hearing stories like this. It is hope for society. I believe how strong your faith is over there has a lot to do with it. Even if mixed at the younger years the rules are the same respect and to help others when they need a hand.
But on the other side of that coin you installed trust and confidence in them you didn't baby them . They were shown a task and they figured it out.
Cheers! Salute! Way to go !

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
What a wonderful world you have going on over there despite all those flying missiles and mass destruction. Those are some fantastic kids! Glad you are getting your garden headed in the right direction. I think you are gonna have some frequent visitors to your pond now. Who knows maybe they will get the pond bug and will someday build ponds of their own!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
See what happens Gbbudd when your not more careful about punctuation my statement was supose to say Sorry , " comma" meaning forgive me for saying old woman.
Instead gbbudd azz leaves out the comma making the statement rather derogative. Not the intent so Sorry about that.... @YShahar

YShahar

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
See what happens Gbbudd when your not mote careful about punctuation my statement was supose to say Sorry , " comma" meaning forgive me for saying old woman.
Instead gbbudd azz leaves out the comma making the statement rather derogative. Not the intent so Sorry about that.... @yshahra
No worries! I've gotten used to figuring out what you mean by now. It's usually worth the effort to decipher! ;-)

YShahar

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
Your hired , you can be my proof reader.
Oh no you don't!!!! I've got enough troubles without risking my sanity as well! ;-)
And that should be:

You're hired. You can be my proof reader.

So there. Nya, nya!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Oh no you don't!!!! I've got enough troubles without risking my sanity as well! ;-)
And that should be:

So there. Nya, nya!
I just use Google translate for @GBBUDD posts, works great;) This thread is definitely a nice pick-me-up during the dreary days of January. What a great story with the kids.

YShahar

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
I just use Google translate for @GBBUDD posts, works great;) This thread is definitely a nice pick-me-up during the dreary days of January. What a great story with the kids.
Google translate... Now there's an idea!

If you recall a couple of weeks ago when ChatGPT unexpectedly went offline? Well, that was just after I'd fed it one of @GBBUDD's posts to decipher... ;-)

@GBBUDD, don't take it personally. We had a saying in the army: "The biggest target is the one everyone aims at!" That's what happens when you get to be a legend!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
And that should be:

So there. Nya, nya!
You passed my little test. We pay 15 an hour min rate these days

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You passed my little test. We pay 15 an hour min rate these days
Like I said in the past I don't take much personally. But it is too easy to piss me off.
Online is a time killer. Every walk of life . Be woke try to tell me how I'm to think or say and you'll find the latter. You want to call yourself a flower pot,a kitty cat I say all the best of luck to you. Insist I must do the same and we'll it surely won't be what your looking for.
I've always been good in sports , great in survival out in the woods, easily see solutions, I'm use to someone trying to step up and always welcome the competition.
Great Big Buddy

Ask a Question