Building pond in Israel by a Granny!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9B
Country
United States
Even with my little pond I bought a cheap jackhammer online with a shovel attachment. I was originally going to do it myself but ended up getting my contractor to do it for me. They used it a lot since I also have tough rocky soil that a normal shovel is useless with.

Your pond will be beautiful once completed with those surroundings.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Every time I see someone working with a bobcat somewhere, I dream of coming back at night and taking it on a little joyride. Alas, I'm supposed to be an upstanding citizen.
Wear all black, hoody, May need to push it out of the yard they do make a lot of noise.

YShahar

Enthusiastic duct-tape engineer
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
Wear all black, hoody, May need to push it out of the yard they do make a lot of noise.
The way to do it would be to wear a yellow hardhat and reflective vest, carry a clipboard and wear a large ring of keys on my belt. Then walk up to the bobcat in broad daylight as if I belonged there, start it up, and hightail it out of there.

YShahar

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
Even with my little pond I bought a cheap jackhammer online with a shovel attachment. I was originally going to do it myself but ended up getting my contractor to do it for me. They used it a lot since I also have tough rocky soil that a normal shovel is useless with.

I did borrow a jackhammer from a friend who's a contractor. It was a really good Makita with a lot of power and I had great fun with it. But alas, I couldn't keep it for long, as he uses it pretty much every day. I did look into the price of buying one, but even the cheaper ones were overly pricey. I wish I had thought to try this trick with the sprinkler back in November, when I started the dig in earnest. The winter rains hadn't yet started, and I was really struggling to hack out pieces of caliche with the pickaxe. Big difference between hacking at water-saturated caliche as opposed to bone-dry caliche! I also learned that it's much easier to dig from the side than from the top, which meant that it wasn't nearly as hard to widen a hole as it was to get it started. Lots of lessons learned on this one!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The way to do it would be to wear a yellow hardhat and reflective vest, carry a clipboard and wear a large ring of keys on my belt. Then walk up to the bobcat in broad daylight as if I belonged there, start it up, and hightail it out of there.
Yep you are right!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Every time I see someone working with a bobcat somewhere, I dream of coming back at night and taking it on a little joyride. Alas, I'm supposed to be an upstanding citizen.
Come on girl who can say no to a feisty granny . Talk to the guys. I Often have equipment and have done a quick project for neighbors.

batt those eye lashes and wear plenty of ben gay so they feel sorry for you

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
As long as you can get it back by dawn you should be ok
i had one of the guys on a project who had a dozen to many one night think the same. He drove off the road just down the street from a construction site not ours but when he realized they had cat equipment and he had a cat key he said i'll borrow a piece of equipment to pull his car out of the ditch . he had three choices an excavator a back hoe and a roller. guess what he chose ... the roller.... he pulled his car out of the ditch but once he was done he went to drive the roller back to the site but forgot what he was doing left his car in the middle of the road and drove the loader back to his hotel room... COPS didn't see the humor. i found the story beyond humorous

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
i had one of the guys on a project who had a dozen to many one night think the same. He drove off the road just down the street from a construction site not ours but when he realized they had cat equipment and he had a cat key he said i'll borrow a piece of equipment to pull his car out of the ditch . he had three choices an excavator a back hoe and a roller. guess what he chose ... the roller.... he pulled his car out of the ditch but once he was done he went to drive the roller back to the site but forgot what he was doing left his car in the middle of the road and drove the ROLLER back to his hotel room... COPS didn't see the humor. i found the story beyond humorous

YShahar

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
Oh my, that is the best story ever! Love it! Just the fact that he used a roller to pull his car out is hilarious. Can you imagine the look on people's faces when he parks the roller in the hotel parking lot?

YShahar

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
Meanwhile, I'm still laying underlay and literally going around the hole trying to pull out every little pebble. I keep telling myself I don't need to be all that paranoid about every little rock, as I'm putting underlayment and sand, etc. on the bottom. But the walls are still going to be a mess! And of course, since the ground has dried out, the pebbles are sitting on the equivalent of cement; they aren't going to be pushed into the ground... Ugh!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Oh my, that is the best story ever! Love it! Just the fact that he used a roller to pull his car out is hilarious. Can you imagine the look on people's faces when he parks the roller in the hotel parking lot?
Unfortunately WHEN YOU WORK WITH TRAVELERS NO WIVES the stories are numerous... LIke the driller who desided to do his laundry but when he got to the hotel washer machine they were taken every time he went down there. So he got the bright idea to fill the tub and wash them the old fashioned way. WELL he started to fill the tub went back to the living room and grabbed a beer and YUP FELL ASLEEP with the tub running. Well it was the weekend and most of the crews had gone home they keep everyone in one side of the hotel so if someone gets out of control they piss each other off. half the crew had gone home and he flooded out the end of the hotel for 3 floors..... Now the hotel was understandable seeing as 50 guys were living in the hotel; and they were making a fortune so they looked the other way and had the rooms steam cleaned. NOW YOU WOULD THINK THAT WOULD BE THE END OF THE PATHETIC STORY BUT nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo He did it a second time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! this time they handed him a 20,000 do9llar bill for cleaning etc .... his wife was less then ammused

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
i had one of the guys on a project who had a dozen to many one night think the same. He drove off the road just down the street from a construction site not ours but when he realized they had cat equipment and he had a cat key he said i'll borrow a piece of equipment to pull his car out of the ditch . he had three choices an excavator a back hoe and a roller. guess what he chose ... the roller.... he pulled his car out of the ditch but once he was done he went to drive the roller back to the site but forgot what he was doing left his car in the middle of the road and drove the ROLLER back to his hotel room... COPS didn't see the humor. i found the story beyond humorous
Speaking of drinking are you? You repeated your story twice and sometimes drinkers forget things they have already done :p

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
Unfortunately WHEN YOU WORK WITH TRAVELERS NO WIVES the stories are numerous... LIke the driller who desided to do his laundry but when he got to the hotel washer machine they were taken every time he went down there. So he got the bright idea to fill the tub and wash them the old fashioned way. WELL he started to fill the tub went back to the living room and grabbed a beer and YUP FELL ASLEEP with the tub running. Well it was the weekend and most of the crews had gone home they keep everyone in one side of the hotel so if someone gets out of control they piss each other off. half the crew had gone home and he flooded out the end of the hotel for 3 floors..... Now the hotel was understandable seeing as 50 guys were living in the hotel; and they were making a fortune so they looked the other way and had the rooms steam cleaned. NOW YOU WOULD THINK THAT WOULD BE THE END OF THE PATHETIC STORY BUT nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo He did it a second time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! this time they handed him a 20,000 do9llar bill for cleaning etc .... his wife was less then ammused
"But, honey, at least I was doing my OWN LAUNDRY!"

Ask a Question