Building the pond out of block?

Reaction score
I would like to build a decent sized water feature in my yard,and have a few questions. Ive looked at pond liners and pumps and filters and its all a bit confusing to me but one thing is for sure there isnt a pond liner available to me that would cover the area i want to in one piece. Also its kinda expensive to buy,but i had a thought about using a different medium instead. What i do have is a big tractor to dig the hole with and lots & lots of those concrete patio stones. Would it be okay for me to dig a hole, morter in those blocks on the sides and shelves, and "paint" them with some sort of coating? I understand that black will show off your fish better, but im not aware of anything that comes in that dark of a color that would do the job?I suppose pool paint but ive never seen a black pool, only blue.

Reaction score
Either the stones or the concrete joints will eventully crack. If you were to lay up the sides with concrete blocks and pour them solid with concrete with rebar for extra support and then pour the bottom with concrete you could lay your stones on top of that :eek2:. Then seal it with a sealer of some kind. It would probably hold water for ahwile. There is one thing concrete is very good at and that is cracking.

Reaction score
wolfie8000 said:
There is one thing concrete is very good at and that is cracking.

yea, thats cool, i dont mind buying the liner, my only question would be weather its okay to use multiple liners though as they come in 20'x13' sheets around here.i think ill need like 3-4 for my little pond. should i glue the edges?

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Urethane that is used to set windows should work to bond the EPDM liner. Home Depot should have it in tubes.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I have a raised block pond with concrete, and rebar, but i still have a rubber liner inside it...try [pondliner .com ] they have what ever size you need

Reaction score
Hi. I live in Dublin Ireland

I have just built a pond up from the ground.. i used blocks on a concrete base.. i then rendered the inside with plaster and painted several coats clorinated rubber (a friend of mine has done this and it works). I also put a glass panel on the side as it is beside my conservatory and at night my plan is to light it up inside so at night it will be an attractive feature to view from inside my home. I am at the stage where everything is in place. I have a five foot coffin tank above the pond to run the pumps and the filters through however i am a complete novice and i am only cutting my teeth so i have a lot to learn. Idealy .. i guess someone in the know would need to see this pond to be able to give me advice. Im not sure if its possible to get a photo onto this forum but if anyone out there wants me to send them a photo through email just let me know. I will try to get a photo on to my profile. Also i have looked at the pumps and filters etc and as you all know they are expensive so any shortcuts anyone knows about, i would be ready to listen to.. By the way,, i have no illusions of having anything exotic in this pond.. As i said i am only cutting my teeth on this so common gold fish will do me.

Reaction score
Hello emperorpenguine,

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the common goldfish. All I've ever had is goldfish and I've never had the urge for anything more. Something 'exotic' is not neccessarily better. Welcome to the world of ponding!

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Add your location into your User CP and it will show up when you post. It save all of us from asking each time.

Reaction score
well at the moment i am filling it up for the first time and by my calculations on how long it took to fill a gallon can and timing it from when i started to where it is now and how far is left to go....im estimating that it will take about 4000 litres. As it is the first time to fill it and i have put a glass panel in the side... i am biting my nails... its nearly full so touch wood.
27goldfish said:
how big are we talking?

Ask a Question