Bulging water under liner HELP !!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My pond is at the bottom of our steep slope. On the up slope side of the pond I built a 2 inch berm so any water that ran down the slope goes around the pond. With vegetation, rocks etc on the up slope side you don't even see it.

During every hard rain, while I was building, I went out with a umbrella and watched the water flowing down the slope to see which way it went. I kept working on the berm until it went around the pond.

Welcome to the forum!
Thanks for that and for everybody's helpful info. Can I ask did your 2 inch berm have you edge of the pond liner over you berm?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks for that and for everybody's helpful info. Can I ask did your 2 inch berm have you edge of the pond liner over you berm?
your liner should be higher than your surrounding landscape to prevent anything from getting into the pond. So yeah, make the berm, liner over, then camo the liner. I'd go at least 6" were it mine...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Indeed, you need to guide all that water runoff around and away from your pond.

To help with a water hippo, lift your liner away from the wall and slip a vertical piece of PVC pipe down toward the bottom between the soil and the liner.
With the weight of the water in your pond, the water under the liner should take the path of least resistance which will be through the vertical pipe.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So thanks to everyones help , I've enlarged the pond , done a berm and a trench to get rid of the run off from my garden, which was giving me loads of bulging water under liner( hippos I think it's called) . Time will tell in winter months if it works . My question now is I'd like to put some goldfish in it now maybe 5 just want a few? Or is this to many for my pond which is 6ft x 4ft x 2 ft deep. How many would you all suggest? Also should I put a coup!e of snails in pond?, I believe they eat algea etc? Or do they cause problems? I don't want anything that is difficult to look after. Suggestions please thanks Beetroot.

YShahar

Enthusiastic duct-tape engineer
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
I should think a pond that size would be perfect for as many as four or five goldfish. The snails will probably show up on their own, given time. I live in a desert, and still ended up with plenty of small black snails. Not sure where they came from (probably the roots of water plants that I bought).

Reaction score
Country
France
I'm getting on in age 66yrs but fairly sprightly and like doing all my own jobs in garden. Ive always wanted a pond, so decided to give it a try before I'm to old lol. So tried a small one February, last year about 18 inches deep and 6 feet wide. Only place I could put it was at bottom of garden and the garden slopes down a bit, so water runs down the garden when we have loads of rain. I put several sheets weed fabric down over the soil, then the liner. Bought a UV lamp with pump, it was brilliant, looked great with the plants but NO fish, I loved it, was soo clear the water. Then this last winter when we had loads rain, my liner started to bulge up into the pond. I checked it, it is water definitely under the liner, at the bottom and the sides. I put loads stones in it to keep it down for now but don't want loads stones all over the bottom and sides takes up so much space. Also it can collect lots debris as I have no fish In it. Im desperate to sort out, someone must of had this problem before. P!ease help
I have had the same problem.But everyone here only talks about water coming from the sides of the liner,but it’s also ground water rising with gases from under the liner.
IMG_8710.jpeg

Last edited:

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
View attachment 160957
View attachment 160958@ToTo
Could you start a post of your own and talk about this issue as this one is old.
Agree. The causes are usually easy to track down, but each situation (pond) is different, so, yes a new thread would keep yours from getting lost. (I am in the groundwater category, ‘cause that’s the problem where I live)

Ask a Question