Bulkhead fitting for pond liner? Please help!!!

mvt

Reaction score
Hi all, this is my first thread. I attached two pics of bulkead fitting for pond liner. Pleas let me which one is safest for pond liner since I'm going to punch a hole through the liner and of course I don't want any leakage or tearing later on, please help. Also, what type of pvc should I hook up to the bulkhead, rigid or flexible?? any support at back of liner? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• bulkhead1.jpg
    bulkhead1.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 1,173

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
You have not mentioned what these are for or where in the pond they are going. Your hole must be perfect so no opportunities for a tearout are in the cutout.

We don't have an illustration here, but if you Google for Images on EPDM and fittings, that would be a good start. I hope this is not for a bottom drain.

Where in the USA are you? Geography is everything, if you want help.

mvt

Reaction score
Dave, thanks alot, I already changed the user profile. Anyway, I just bought a house and there is a koi pond in the backyard, approximate 1,400-1,600 gal. After doing some research, I know this pond was not in a good design at all, no bottom drain. The external pump is way above the water level and the previous owner just dump the 2'' pipe straight down from the pump to the bottom of the liner pond. Not to harm the pump that works against the gravity flow, I'm going to punch a hole through the liner about midway down and install the bulkhead fitting. At the front of the bulkhead (the wet side), I'm gonna hook up either the flexible or rigid pvc to the retro-drain placing at the bottom of the pond liner and at the back, it's gonna connect to the pump then directs water to the filters. Hopefully, you got a idea what i use the bulkhead fitting for. Thanks.

Reaction score
say it ain't so. I have always fought with leaks in my pond so I never understand it when someone puts a hole in a perfectly good liner. Its like wiping before you poop. doesn't make sense.
Good luck anyway.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
leeannecastro said:
say it ain't so. I have always fought with leaks in my pond so I never understand it when someone puts a hole in a perfectly good liner. Its like wiping before you poop. doesn't make sense.
Good luck anyway.

LOL.........nice analogy there!!! most folks here will agree..

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
If i had to do it..i would pick the one on the bottom..
But your hole needs to be perfect like DrD said,,,,
I would not put any thing on the bulkhead { like silicone } keep it dry or the rubber may slide out ..
I would go with a hard pipe about 1 ft long then turn to flex

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
MVT
You are not going to get too many supporters here on bottom drains. I think it is one othe biggest waste of time, energy and cost you can do.
A submersible pump is much smarter, If it clogs, it takes on 5 minutes to clean it. If you have to replace it, 5 minutes. If yours clogs, get out your scuba gear or drain the pond. NO BRAINER...
Then we get into leaks, every one is catestrophic as far as your options to fix them.
I would never put a bottom drain in a liner type pond.
I wish you luck.

Reaction score
Hi MVT. Welcome back and don't be afraid. I like the top one better. Looks nice and thick and looks like it has a thick gasket. But either one would work really.

What you do is put one ring where you want to cut it out and mark the exact hole with a pen (i used a silver sharpie so I could see it on the black liner). You then take a scissor and cut the hole out about 1/8 of an inch larger than the hole you've drawn. Then simply stick one side of each of the bulkead pieces. Slather some of the black pond silicone on it, but just a little bit of the stuff as you're really only using it to keep the liner from twisting up as you're turning the bulkhead. Remember, too, that bulkheads turn opposite of a normal object your would twist to close like a screw, for example. So, righty-tighty and lefty-loosey is not helpful in this scenario. With a bulkhead it's tighten to the left and loosen to the right. Also, another tip is to avoid pulling on your liner once you've got the bukhead in place. Just be gentle with it.

When you're good and very tight then you get your black PL roofing and flashing sealant. caulk all around the bulkhead on both sides (the part in the pond and the part behind the liner. Use your fingers (where a glove as the stuff is a nightmare to remove) and really work it in there as if you were caulking a bathtub. Get it nice and smooth and use plenty and really work it into the seams.

You don't need anything to support your bulhead after. The dirt you backfill in your hole behind it will support it just fine. I used 2" flex piping on my bukhead, but you can use rigid piping if you prefer.

I was afraid to do it, too, which is why many folks here will talk you out of it. It was the best thing I ever did for my filtration.

I just added my AV-50 air pump today attached to a 5" air disc diffuser that I got a petsmart for 5.99. I've got lots of bubble action now and that will bring even more goodies for my retro bottom drain to suck up. Yummy! My water has never been more lovely since I changed things 2 months ago.

Don't be afraid. Not sure if you have a local koi club where you're living, but sometimes they make help you with the bulkhead if you are too scared. If you've got some $, you could pay a watergarden pro to install just the bulkhead. Can't imagine that would cost more than $75 bucks for them to do since it takes all of 10 minutes. I'm too cheap and bit the bullet and grabbed my hubby and we just did it. Am glad I did.

Reaction score
We have two pumps. One in a skimmer and one on the bottom at the other end. For the skimmer pump, I bought an Aqua Art retro fit bottom drain. this clever design sits on top of your liner, yet has great suction. I tested it a few times using toilet paper. Really sucked it in from about 12 inches out. I connected it with 3 inch black pipe and ran it through a bulkhead fitting into my skimmer and connected it directly to the pump. For a filter I lined the inside of the Aqua Art dome with coarse mesh filter material. One of the connections on the 3 inch pipe up close to the skimmer uses a Fernco fitting. So I just loosen one of the clamps, lift the drain out of the pond, clean the filter and put it back.

Reaction score
If you must install a bulkhead fitting, we recommend going with ace roto-mold bulkhead fittings, they are nsf 61 approved for potable consumption. If it's good enough for humans hopefully good enough for the fish :alieneyesa:
If you are ready to purchase and don't have a local supplier you can get bulkhead fittings at plastic-mart.com

if you are ordering more than one i recommend doing so over the phone, you can get a nice break on price from a salesguy, especially on shipping..

be safe
:bowdown:

Reaction score
Do some research on Bottom drains... its not a bulkhead you need.. its an actual bottom drain kit, which clamps the bottom drain and the liner.. that and PL Adhesive and your in business....

Reaction score
DrDave said:
MVT
You are not going to get too many supporters here on bottom drains. I think it is one othe biggest waste of time, energy and cost you can do.
A submersible pump is much smarter, If it clogs, it takes on 5 minutes to clean it. If you have to replace it, 5 minutes. If yours clogs, get out your scuba gear or drain the pond. NO BRAINER...
Then we get into leaks, every one is catestrophic as far as your options to fix them.
I would never put a bottom drain in a liner type pond.
I wish you luck.

Now, did you not read the above quote from DrDave's post?. If you buy a submersible pump like a Laguna Max-flo you will never regret it. However it's very likely you will regret a bottom drain, it's just a another piece of claptrap.

Ask a Question