Leaking Bulkhead

Reaction score
So we put together our filter using a Rubbermaid container and it's been working really well to clear the water. My main problem is that the output bulkhead is leaking. It's most likely user error. I have tried tightening it as much as possible, but it's still leaking. The gasket is in the flange side of the bulkhead which is on the outside of the container. The nut is screwed on from the inside. Originally I read it didn't matter if the nut was on the inside (water side) or outside, but then I came across that it should be on the outside of the container with the flange and gasket on the inside. My information is conflicting.

Can anyone with some knowledge shed some light? I'm getting frustrated with the DIY filter as I keep running into problems with it, mainly because I'm terrible at plumbing! Im starting to think buying a filter is looking like a good option. I still haven't figured out how to run it back to the waterfall without overflowing the filter and Home Depot is always missing the plumbing parts I'm looking for. My inlet is 1 inch tubing so I should be fine with an outlet 1.5 inch tubing running back to the waterfall? I first tried installing the once inch tubing to the outlet as well and that immediately overflowed the filter. I'm thinking 1.5 inch tubing should be good, or do I need to go larger?

I'm going to stick with it though until I get it right!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
The gasket on the bulkhead should not matter at all. I have Savio filters and they actually have the gasket on the inside and the outside depending on which one. If you have screw fittings, Teflon tape is needed.

I use 1 1/2" tubing on my inlet and 2" on the outlet. You should be fine with 1" to 1 1/2" make sure your bulkhead is the same size also.

As far as running back to the waterfall, then you may need to go larger depending on the length and height vs your location of the filter.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Just to clarify, Teflon tape is used on pipe-to-pipe connections, not on the threads of the bulkhead fitting. A small amount of roofing goop (as promoted by our very own Sissy), spread on the container side of the gasket, does wonders for those annoying little drips!
John

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
There is a pond seallant called gold available on the net its the only pond sealant that acctually sets underwater perhaps you could purchase that :-

http://www.thepondoutlet.com/home//...oducts+was++added+to+your+shopping+cart.<br+>

I hope this helps you solve your problem on a permanent basis :)
Cost to you $14.24 for the one shot gold pond sealant I checked the price in the shopping cart for you, I've used it before and its what holds y bottom drain to the bottom of the pond with no leaks first time around :cool:
Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Just to clarify, Teflon tape is used on pipe-to-pipe connections, not on the threads of the bulkhead fitting. A small amount of roofing goop (as promoted by our very own Sissy), spread on the container side of the gasket, does wonders for those annoying little drips!
John
Sorry yes pipe to pipe not on the bulkhead itself

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
This is what I think when I read "Leaking bulkhead":
6s8meq.jpg

Ask a Question