Buyer beware!

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I work at the GC part-time, running the pond section. Have been doing it for ten or eleven years now. Have a VERY loyal group of customers, so I must be doing SOMETHING right! ;)
It seems I have developed a bit of a reputation, as several other businesses will send customers to ME (after selling them equipment they know nothing about), telling them that our business has someone on staff that is better informed! My season pretty well ends with June, but if anyone comes in with questions, the staff usually calls me. My wife is the nursery manager, or as I like to call her, the "Plant" manager. :rolleyes:
John

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Wow! Were those other estimates by phone or was that AFTER they came out and looked at it? That reminds me of the spots they do on the TODAY show as "fraud alerts." They'll stage a house [or car, or whatever the topic is] and get repair people to come out and give estimates. Of course, they video all of this and it's just amazing what goes on if you are an unsuspecting consumer. One hilarious story [and I don't recall what the "problem" was supposed to be....] was when a group of 2 or 3 folks came into the house, said it was possed by evil spirits and were casting all kind of spells, burning incense, etc. While all of this "voodoo" stuff was going on, one of the group members was recorded going back to the kitchen and helping himself to a stash of cash!

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Apparently all three estimates were given after the problem was described over the phone.
John

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Just like anything the customer needs to do there home work or they will get ripped off by the people out there trying to make money off the people who have no clue .Lucky they found you and now have someone that is willing to help them .You may need to get a direct line to them for back up calls ;)I am sure there will be more panic calls

Reaction score
Actually, they bought the house because they loved the pond. I wish mine was as beautiful as theirs! :( I also got the OK to go back and take pictures. Will post them if this darn computer will let me!
John
Well that's encouraging to know that people will buy a house because of a pond. We have been thinking about the prospect of selling our house and I've come to the realization that likely the only people who would buy the house would be someone who really likes the pond (and courtyard area).
You've also confirmed something else I've been thinking about. I've been thinking it would be smart to put together an instructional video of how to care for and maintain my pond. Showing how the filter system works and how to clean it, how to winterize, and how to get it going in the winter. I'm sure the people who buy the place would really appreciate it, and for sure it would prevent some future problems. After hearing your story it has really driven home the fact that whoever buys our place is going to want information like that and I might not necessarily be around to tutor them. With two pumps, skimmer, bottom drain, auto fill drip, overflow drain, UV filter, settlement chamber (with clean out drain), a phoam phractinator, and biological filter and final polishing filter and a bunch of lines that get switched around in the winter in the pump/filter room, I'm sure someone would feel lost without some sort of manual or something to refer to.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
it would be smart to put together an instructional video

That's an excellent idea! I rely on YouTube all the time for "how-to" instructions - having one for your own pond makes perfect sense! And not just in the event you sell, but also if you have occasion to leave your pond in the hands of another while you are away from home. Great tip!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Just like anything the customer needs to do there home work

Sad, but true. And unfortunately when it comes to something as specialized as pond care it's easy for people to get taken advantage of, as there just aren't that many options to choose from generally speaking. In our area the companies that do pond care are generally working on commercial properties and aren't really interested in the residential pond.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Great idea, @Mucky_Waters! At the very least, a written set of instructions and a diagram of the pond's plumbing. This particular one has at LEAST 50' of flexible tubing, with two filter screens (and lots of fittings) feeding two filters, as well as a large vegetative filter which overflows into the pond via a short stream. Apparently both of the previous owners are deceased, and the only help the new owners could find was a neighbour who remembers odds'n'ends of what was done previously.
John

Ask a Question