buzzzzzzzzzz new adventure

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Are the rest all drones? Or do the workers actually get that close to royalty?
John (serious now!)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The nurse bees surround the queen, they feed her, don't fly, groom her, baby her. As they grow in age they change jobs. The drones are male, they are born male, in a bigger cell from the time they are born to death they just eat or mate with the queen. The mating happens once in a queens life, if they mate they die. If they don't mate the just eat and live until fall then they are kicked out and die. They do not get near the queen until mating time. Then it is done during flight out of the hive. They mate and drop dead. Out of 60000 bees maybe 1000 are drones.

The workers make the cells, bring in nectar, pollen, removed dead bees, guard the hive................They make the hive right for the queen

Are the rest all drones? Or do the workers actually get that close to royalty?
John (serious now!)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Wow what a life! It is quite complex and I feel privileged to gain the info on how they live. I know you mentioned once about how a new queen is chosen. Can you mention it again?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Wow what a life! It is quite complex and I feel privileged to gain the info on how they live. I know you mentioned once about how a new queen is chosen. Can you mention it again?

lol first born of queen cells created, she goes around and kills the other queens, that have not made it out of their cells.................First born rules!

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
She'll have to settle with me in the next life, then. Fortunately she's no longer around to make MY life a living hell! :devil:
John

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
lol first born of queen cells created, she goes around and kills the other queens, that have not made it out of their cells.................First born rules!

Oh my gosh now I remember you saying that before addy. So the only work she ever does is when she is first born and goes around murdering all her sisters..................they should make a horror movie about this one. I bet she leaves all the clean up to the worker bees too

Reaction score
Oh my gosh now I remember you saying that before addy. So the only work she ever does is when she is first born and goes around murdering all her sisters..................they should make a horror movie about this one. I bet she leaves all the clean up to the worker bees too
yeesh, when you put it like that it sounds so nasty

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States

She sure does the undertaker worker bees!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
This is called burr comb, anywhere the bees think there it too much empty space they build comb. It is so neat to see how they make the cells. Each cell is centered on the cell on the other side. We did our inspection today, made sure no spare queens growing, cleaned up the burr comb, checked to see how many frames were drawn out.

DSC07022.JPG

Ask a Question