Cactus Anyone?

B

Burd

I haven’t been buying any new plants, but this one at a Lowe’s I went to was so nice, it was all budded up, most of the plants had straw flowers hot glued on the plants, WTH do they ruin a plant like that, this is a Gymno. White flowers I see. I always re pot as soon as I buy one, see what’s going on in the other half of the plant you can’t see LOl clay pots are most forgiving for me
CF85B7ED-6870-4928-A7D4-0D22AF902DF6.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Beautiful! Good to see one with real blooms, not those dang glued on ones. Have you seen some are gluing on plastic flowers now? I feel so sorry for the plants.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I had some beautiful cactus in my front yard in Arizona, they only bloomed at night. There are a lot of cactus thieves there, come and dig them up at night. But mine were still there when I sold the place.

Beautiful huge pink flowers.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I had some beautiful cactus in my front yard in Arizona, they only bloomed at night. There are a lot of cactus thieves there, come and dig them up at night. But mine were still there when I sold the place.

Beautiful huge pink flowers.

Cactus thieves? Who the heck does that? And why? I imagine it could be dangerous ; )

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Cactus thieves? Who the heck does that? And why? I imagine it could be dangerous ; )
The one in my front yard was worth around $100 for each branch. It had grown huge over the years. They steal anything they can dig up. Resale for a lot of money

People have been killed trying to steal the huge cactus out in the desert, squished flat, some weigh tons

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I don't grow cactus indoors (or really any houseplants... zero attention span. haha!) but we do have native cactuses here, even in Northern IL that grow in my garden. These really love growing in our rock wall - we started with one tiny paddle about five years ago and they just keep growing! They do bloom occasionally. Every now and again I forget to watch myself when I'm working in this little corner and realize later that I had a "close encounter" of the prickly kind! They leave lots of little glochids in any exposed skin that may brush by. Those are fun to try to pull out!

And if you need a way to keep chipmunks from tunneling in your rock retention wall, try cactus!

Cactus.JPG

Ask a Question