can anyone identify these frogs?

Reaction score
Well, there are 3 fish gone now! The funny thing is that nothing around the pond seems out of place (as if a raccoon was around - I doubt they tip-toe around while catching fish!). I'm baffled if it isn't the frog. This frog is definitely big enough to eat fish.

The real mystery is where did that extra fish come from? It's about 2 inches long and is gray/black. This is a new pond with new fish that I put in at the end of June. The guy at the fish store told me it would be highly unlikely that one of my fish laid eggs that late, because they spawn in early spring (? - don't know much about this). There is a large pond up the road from me, and he thinks it's possible that a bird might have carried it from that pond and dropped it in my pond by accident - I find that even MORE unlikely!! I just have to figure out what type of fish this is, because if it's not a goldfish or koi, and I want to get it out of there if it might be harmful to my fish at some point. It's a quick little guy so it's hard to get a picture.

Reaction score
i think stroppy is right. But I have seen birds do what laura is describing...grab something and then it falls out of their claws and it could land in the pond.

Last year I'm cleaning around the pond and we found a crawfish or lobster. It was only 4 inches in size, and looked exactly like a little blue lobster...it really didn't look like a crawfish. We could not figure out where the thing had come from. I mean, we're not even near any body of water where it could have walked from. How the heck did the thing get there?? We just assume that a bird must have found it in some lake that is a half a mile down the road and dropped it. We just took the little thing and got in the car and drove to the closest lake we could find and let it go.

Reaction score
I guess because the fish is so small, that I would think that if a bird grabbed it, it would just gulp it down in one swallow, and not need to carry it somewhere at all! I did not see the fish at all today or yesterday in the pond, so now I'm wondering if a frog got it. However, there was 2 days that I didn't see it last week, and then all of a sudden it appeared again.

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
LauraGal,

I have about a dozen small mosquito fish in my pond that are extremely elusive and I only see some of them on occassions. They hide themselves quite well in and under the lilly pads and parrot feather.

Ask a Question