Can solar pool blankets keep ponds warmer?

Joshaeus

Water hawthorn, Aponogeton Distachyos
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hi all! I found this while looking on the bay of E; https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-x-8-Rect...rentrq:ca6319081680ab110732e95fffc48308|iid:1

I was wondering if I could cut a piece of this to cover a large part of my water garden during spring and fall to extend outdoor time for my fish (which, while not tropical, would not survive the pond freezing over). I was wondering if strategic use of these could extend my outdoor fish season by about a month. What are your thoughts? Thanks :)

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
There was a German couple that when away on holiday and decided to put a cover on it. Couple of days later the koi where all dead, starved of oxygen. So I wouldn't recommend it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I use a pool solar cover as my winter cover for my pond. I do not lay it directly on the water, but rather drape it over a structure of boards. It has made a big difference in keeping my pond open during the winter. I would NOT place it directly on the water.

Joshaeus

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Ah...so I could lay it over the pond, but NOT directly on the water surface, is that right? Obviously I would still need to remove it every day to feed the fish. (PS...do you think it would warm the water garden by using it as a 'blanket' around its sides?)

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Actually the people i mention had it resting on water surface, they where floating foam blocks as i recall now. Once there is a gap and keep the cold breeze out it will definitely help.

Joshaeus

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Ah...so I could lay it over the pond, but NOT directly on the water surface, is that right? Obviously I would still need to remove it every day to feed the fish. (PS...do you think it would warm the water garden by using it as a 'blanket' around its sides?)
During the winter, goldfish should not be fed once the pond water is below 50°f

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
welcome35.gif
@Teiger

Reaction score
Country
Canada
During the winter, goldfish should not be fed once the pond water is below 50°f
Never lay any covers directly on the pond, it needs to breathe, gases from the pond needs to escape, I have my cover about 2' above the pond and bubblers about 6" below the surface, never deep, you want to keep the thermal temperature layer at the bottom from mixing with the upper layers

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We use a solar pool cover in winter over an Intex pool that has water lilies in it, no fish. The cover sits directly on the water. But it has several holes in it. Not that we put them there, but it is made that way. Then we put inflated pool pillows on top of that cover, 4 of them so they can be stacked with 3 on the bottom layer and one on top to make a sort of pyramid shape. The whole thing, including the sides of the pool, is covered with a sheet of heavy plastic. That way, snow is shed easily and there is adequate air space to be warmed by sun. The pool has never frozen by covering it this way.

Not sure the solar cover is even necessary, but since it works this way, we are hesitant to change it. And I'm not sure it would keep the water warm on its own. I think it is more likely that the air space above and around the pool sides keeps it warm, not so much the solar cover floating on the pool.

Also, if there were fish in there, I would add air. There are newts and tadpoles that overwinter in there and they seem to survive without a problem.

We also use the regular solar cover in winter for the top layer of cover over the frame over the pond to create a greenhouse. That solar cover is a solid plastic with no holes in it. I would not float that type of cover directly on the pond, even though it would be nearly impossible to completely seal the edges by doing that.

Reaction score
Country
United States
We use a solar pool cover in winter over an Intex pool that has water lilies in it, no fish. The cover sits directly on the water. But it has several holes in it. Not that we put them there, but it is made that way. Then we put inflated pool pillows on top of that cover, 4 of them so they can be stacked with 3 on the bottom layer and one on top to make a sort of pyramid shape. The whole thing, including the sides of the pool, is covered with a sheet of heavy plastic. That way, snow is shed easily and there is adequate air space to be warmed by sun. The pool has never frozen by covering it this way.

Not sure the solar cover is even necessary, but since it works this way, we are hesitant to change it. And I'm not sure it would keep the water warm on its own. I think it is more likely that the air space above and around the pool sides keeps it warm, not so much the solar cover floating on the pool.

Also, if there were fish in there, I would add air. There are newts and tadpoles that overwinter in there and they seem to survive without a problem.

We also use the regular solar cover in winter for the top layer of cover over the frame over the pond to create a greenhouse. That solar cover is a solid plastic with no holes in it. I would not float that type of cover directly on the pond, even though it would be nearly impossible to completely seal the edges by doing that.
Newts in an Intex pool? Did they show up on their own?

Do they breed in there? Don't they need to live on land for a few years until they mature?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They always show up on their own. There are 2 that overwintered in there this past winter.

I also find them in the pond, but something in there kills them, so they don't last long. I try to catch those and move them to the lily pool where they are safer.

I'm not aware of any breeding going on in there, but they do seem to be mature.

Reaction score
Country
United States
They always show up on their own. There are 2 that overwintered in there this past winter.

I also find them in the pond, but something in there kills them, so they don't last long. I try to catch those and move them to the lily pool where they are safer.

I'm not aware of any breeding going on in there, but they do seem to be mature.
I remember you mentioning on one of my posts that the pool has 31" walls. Did the newts somehow climb those, or did you have to add them for them to get in there?

Either way, the newts might need some floating object in the pool for their efts to climb out on, or else they will drown. I'm not sure (maybe they're smart enough not to breed in a pool with steep sides).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They can climb in. The ones I put in there are not the only ones that end up in there. Others come on their own.

They can go through the holes in the solar cover that is only on that pool in winter, if they need to get out of the water. In summer, they can easily get onto the railing around the pool, or sit on a lily pad. The two in there now spent all winter in there, so they obviously didn't drown.

After giving it some thought, the sides may be only 30", not 31", but I doubt that it makes much difference to the newts and frogs.

Ask a Question