Can you have ponds in deep shade?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Like say a 10x10 ft and 5 ft deep pond in complete shade with some fish in it. Are there any negative effects to it?

I actually have had a very small pool pond in the north side of my house for at least 10 years, not even 1 feet from the foundation. It gets no sun at all all 4 seasons in my zone 7a. Yet the hostas planted around my pond still bloom gracefully. And my fish have been doing fine. So just wondering

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Oh ok so as long as there's no full sun requiring plants for the pond it should be ok.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
My koi lived indoors for 22 years prior to going into the pond they had no loss of colouration during that time however sunlight seems to have brought them on even more these last 6 years.

Dave

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I had a pond in deep shade before. No algae to fight, but also hard to find plant that can grow well. Can grow lots of moss though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Meyer Jordan, I'm not worried as there haven't been any problems so far but I'm just wondering. I also plan on getting a pond installed when I buy a home in the future so I just want to get some ideas of it.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Meyer Jordan, I'm not worried as there haven't been any problems so far but I'm just wondering. I also plan on getting a pond installed when I buy a home in the future so I just want to get some ideas of it.
Ideally, a pond should get a least 4 hours of sunlight per day.
Although plants are important, the sunlight is really needed to maintain a healthy growth of periphyton (carpet algae) which adds immensely to the Oxygen content of the water. This Oxygen not only provides life support for the fish but also provides for the respiration of the important strains of bacteria that are needed to adequately oxidize the Ammonia in the water and to break down organic compounds that are introduced to the pond by wind, other animals and the fish themselves.

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Deep shade, lotsa leaves. Lotsa leaves, lotsa mulm.

Deep shade, no lilies.

Deep shade, not much in the way of marginals.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
yea it's doable but not much fun ;) Since i love plants it's totally not fun for me to have my pond in shade. But it's doable. I had it for 2 -3 years.

Ask a Question