Share filter between ponds

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi everyone,

I only started learning about pond 1 year ago, so I want to get some advice on my filter upgrade plan. So I have 2 ponds, one big and one small, the small one sit about 1 meter above the big one. Both ponds have some small gold fishes in there.
Pond_zpswtf5cefh.png

This is what I plan to do. Have a pump sitting at the bottom of the big pond, pumping water to the small pond above. Near the top edge of the small pond, there is a outlet for water to flow into a gravity filter, then from gravity filter flow back into the big pond. Is this plan feasible?
couple of things I am worry about:
1. will dirt built up at the bottom of the top pond? 2. will the gravity filter provide enough aeration? Any input is appreciated. Thank you!:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3?
Country
Canada
The small pond will become somewhat of a settling pond and hold a lot of heavy waste. I have similar in my pond though on purpose to catch solids and help my bog was the theory.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
Canada
Found this idea in an article that might work well for you. Was thinking of this myself. Have the top pond with an overflow to a creek as well as the bottom drain into the overflow, the overflow would work as a skimmer for the top pond. Run a pump from the lower pond to the filter(s) and then falls or some sort of return to the top pond.
upload_2018-8-14_8-24-20.png

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3?
Country
Canada
This is my small upper pond with has pump in main pond up to it. The small creek runs back into main pond. I had this dead area in the pond garden and thought I would repurpose the old shell pond. I cut old pond I half and laid piece of liner from it over lapping main pond liner. In the end it's similar to what you are thinking of but on a micro level in size. It's a great way to fill an area and we all probably have our first pond behind a shed or garage as I did. You can see the waste settling on bottom which would be your challenge in say a larger version. I guess I can also just stop pump and shop vac it. I plan to install a bulk head into it for a quick flush once in awhile. In some ways it's much like the first stage tank for the koi keeper.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Two things come to mind. Debris could block the outlet of the upper pond. And a check valve will help prevent back flow from the upper to lower pond if the power goes out.
Stephen

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Thanks everyone! Trough drain system is a great idea! Let see if I can create this myself.
This is my small upper pond with has pump in main pond up to it. The small creek runs back into main pond. I had this dead area in the pond garden and thought I would repurpose the old shell pond. I cut old pond I half and laid piece of liner from it over lapping main pond liner. In the end it's similar to what you are thinking of but on a micro level in size. It's a great way to fill an area and we all probably have our first pond behind a shed or garage as I did. You can see the waste settling on bottom which would be your challenge in say a larger version. I guess I can also just stop pump and shop vac it. I plan to install a bulk head into it for a quick flush once in awhile. In some ways it's much like the first stage tank for the koi keeper.

What a beautiful pond!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States

nice work jack

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I would think a better approach is to pump up to a bog not a gravity filter. bog empties into a upper pond with say a one foot water fall which will replace stripped o2 then have a two or three foot water fall into the larger pond

Ask a Question