Can you identify green fresh water turtle???

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You can type a reply right below the last post and just click post (a black button right below where you type)

They have had some issues with pictures, some had to redo their avs, some not.

It is a lot easier to post pictures with this update. You can select multiple pictures.

Read threads posted by Ian, he has explained some of the features.

I have read that red sliders won't hurt your liner, they do poop a lot. Make sure it has a way to get out of the water and sun itself

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
OK, I've not been able to get on the Forum for 3 days, now see that it's been changed. I love change, but why have the "reply" at the top of the page, rather than at the bottom, where you're reading? Also, I have had no e-mails for the last 3-4 days showing that anyone responded to threads I had responded to, so wondering if that has changed as well. Do I need to redo something? And, where did my profile pic go? Guess I need to put in a new one? Is there a page where I can go to read about the changes, and what I need to do to make things back to where they were, or are the changes what works best for everyone? I'll get used to it, no problem, but I feel very left out for the last few days. I know change is good, and I'll adjust, just don't want to miss out when someone responds to a thread I've asked a question about something, like this! :)
I have a red slider baby turtle in my pond. It's about 2" in length, and was in the skimmer last night and again this morning. :) I guess he'll figure out how to stay out of there eventually.
My question, is it ok to let him stay? I'm not concerned about him eating any fry if/when I get some, and I think they are vegetation eaters, but I'm most concerned about my liner in the future. Will he try to "dig in" for the winter? I'm pretty sure snappers do that, so will get rid of any snappers (besides I know snappers are meat eaters!), but wondering if it's ok to let this little guy stay. I can easily put him out in my farm pond, if it's a problem.
I wouldn't worry at all about a 2" slider in a pond. Once he gets up to 10" or so then I might get little more concerned. BTW they eat meat just like snapping turtles do, In fact they probably eat more but they also eat bugs and tadpoles and prefer dying fish where snappers prefer live. If fed well I doubt you'll have any problems with them bothering most fish. I'll be surprised if he stays in the pond for more than a month, sliders wander and he may leave and head to the big pond but be aware, a big one may wander and appear in your pond. LOL I have musk turtles (Stink pots) that just appear every once in a while. they are like small snapping turtles, once they figure out the pellets are food they get really tame, but have to watch out because they will bite at the fish too. Good luck on the site, I think everyone is having little issues getting used to the new set-up. There are still several things I liked about the old server better and hopefully we will get some of that fixed or back on this one in the near future.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
OK, I've not been able to get on the Forum for 3 days, now see that it's been changed. I love change, but why have the "reply" at the top of the page, rather than at the bottom, where you're reading? Also, I have had no e-mails for the last 3-4 days showing that anyone responded to threads I had responded to, so wondering if that has changed as well. Do I need to redo something? And, where did my profile pic go? Guess I need to put in a new one? Is there a page where I can go to read about the changes, and what I need to do to make things back to where they were, or are the changes what works best for everyone? I'll get used to it, no problem, but I feel very left out for the last few days. I know change is good, and I'll adjust, just don't want to miss out when someone responds to a thread I've asked a question about something, like this! :)

There's also a "quick" reply box at the bottom of each topic which means you don't need to go to scroll the way up to post a reply (you can also click the "more reply options" button to see the extended editor for attachments) :).

I'm still working on getting the new site up to scratch, so in a week or two it should be more familiar to us all. There are a couple of threads here which contain some interesting reading:

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/topic/7423-want-to-get-e-mails-when-someone-replies-to-your-thread/
https://www.gardenpondforum.com/forum-4/announcement-2-how-to-upload-images-plus-other-how-tos/

The first one shows how you can get e-mail notifications again. This setting didn't move over to the new software, but I didn't want to enable it globally as I'm sure there are some users that don't want to get e-mails of posts. In a couple of clicks the e-mails will start coming back :).

Ask a Question