Help Identifying Butterfly Koi

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I just bought a used pond and it came with these four. Old owner says they are butterfly koi. Can anyone identify the type? They are 5-6 years old and full grown. Any idea if they're males or females? How can I tell the sex? Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_5513.JPG
    IMG_5513.JPG
    102.4 KB · Views: 245
  • IMG_5514.JPG
    IMG_5514.JPG
    87.3 KB · Views: 261
  • IMG_5512.JPG
    IMG_5512.JPG
    106 KB · Views: 274

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
First pic looks like it has shusui in it, middle a matsuba and the yellow one in the last pic looks like an ogon, not sure about the other koi in last pic. Nice looking koi.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
First pic looks like it has shusui in it, middle a matsuba and the yellow one in the last pic looks like an ogon, not sure about the other koi in last pic. Nice looking koi.

Thanks! This is the info I was looking for! The Ogon is my favorite. He looks like he could glow in the dark he's so bright.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a ish!
Country
United Kingdom
Prime age for Koi to breed is between 3-6 years of age. If you google 'male or female koi' and select a video it's far easier to watch than trying to explain their finnage and body shape differences.

Ask a Question