Help Identifying Butterfly Koi

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
I just bought a used pond and it came with these four. Old owner says they are butterfly koi. Can anyone identify the type? They are 5-6 years old and full grown. Any idea if they're males or females? How can I tell the sex? Thanks!

Attachments

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
I thought butterfly was a type?

Reactions: IPA
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Btw love the first one.

Jhn

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
First pic looks like it has shusui in it, middle a matsuba and the yellow one in the last pic looks like an ogon, not sure about the other koi in last pic. Nice looking koi.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
They are all butterfly but there is more than that to the type. Irregardless they are all quite beautiful.
Thank you! I'm already in love and hoping for some babies.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
First pic looks like it has shusui in it, middle a matsuba and the yellow one in the last pic looks like an ogon, not sure about the other koi in last pic. Nice looking koi.
Thanks! This is the info I was looking for! The Ogon is my favorite. He looks like he could glow in the dark he's so bright.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a ish!
Country
Prime age for Koi to breed is between 3-6 years of age. If you google 'male or female koi' and select a video it's far easier to watch than trying to explain their finnage and body shape differences.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
All very nice looking koi. As far as the sex, just guessing but black and grey and orange with white seem to have female body shape. Females are usually more wide.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
My koi did not breed until they were 5 yeas old so could be true .But now they are over 2 feet long and extremely heavy when I had to move them to rebuild the pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
My koi did not breed until they were 5 yeas old so could be true .But now they are over 2 feet long and extremely heavy when I had to move them to rebuild the pond
Do you remember approximately how big they were at 5yrs old?

Ask a Question