Cannas in bogs

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
bogs are three things
1 biological meaning bacteria grows in the stone eating any uneaten food or detains matter or fine partials.
2. they also act as a mechanical filter which trapping fine partials in the gravel thus clear water.
3. THE PLANTS they do both the roots trap fine partcals and they absorb uneaten nutrients in the water.

So if your current bog is to small. " though I believe your bog is still new and growing. but let's say its just to small. The existing bog can be left for 1 and 2 above, no plants. you have seen garden boxes outside a window. Well this is the same idea just a heck of another more heavy duty then some 3/4 " pine. build an elevated bog /window box. I know easy for me to say but honestly would not be that hard. But you have seen my idea of easy builds and little extensions. They do similar with the shower boxes akja trickle filters but the water drops out the bottom.

I was even thinking it would be very cool to have like gutters on a angle back wall have the water drip from one gutter down to the next over and over could be very cool. No I have not had a drink.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
1589390327143.png
How about something like this? I have one and may seriously add it to my stocktank bog.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
@GBBUDD , I once had an expensive shower filter I purchased from Deep Water Koi. I loved it and the design was called " Japanese Lantern". Wouldn't you know, we lost a big tree in a storm and it smashed it to smithereens :( He no longer makes that design, focus is on larger shower units now.

Hmmmm, you and @mrsclem have given me food for thought ! Our bog is very new, only put in just before winter. I was fortunate to have some plants from addy and they're coming up slowly....my order from Trickers will be here by the end of May.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
yea it takes some time for the plants to truly get established in the bog. Seeing this is the first spring its way to early to have a idea how the bog is going to do for you. Like Bagsmom o believe it was saying she had to practice what she preached and give spring a chance to get cooking.

The shower units are very similar to what i used on my reef tank years and years ago. With trickle filters . I have often thought about getting a reef tanks going again but more of a nano tank with small pile of live rock a shrimp and a bicolor blenny . Those little guys would look at you and you would swear they were trying to communicate with you.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
anyone with an Asian food supermarket nearby can look for the small taro roots in the fresh vegetables section.
Often they are starting to grow and makes cheaper choices than a garden shop for elephant ears.

Ask a Question