Cannas in the pond

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Mine have bloomed all summer and far into fall once they get established in the bog. Every year they seem to take their time deciding if they're happy and then suddenly BOOM! And I buy whatever kind of canna I find at the nursery - they've all worked.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
I think mine would have bloomed if I had placed them in spring. I placed mine mid late summer.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Do Iris only bloom 1x a year in the spring? Or more often? This will be the first full year with them so I don't know

So far my Irises have been blooming for the last 2 weeks. I noted the flowers die when the weather goes a bit cold, although the irises of the neighbors who are planted in the ground are blooming fully despite the cold dips. I think in a bog the roots go cold a lot.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Mine bloomed back in March but then we got chilly again. I've got bulbs again but now flowers so I don't know for sure what the heck they are doing. Lol

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
IMG_6217.JPG
My Cannas are growing like crazy bare root.....dug up some from the garden, washed all the dirt off and stuck them between some rocks in a plant basket weighed down with rock.... If I didn't put them in a basket and weighed down heavily..... The Koi Kids would have them scattered all over the pond. Haven't bloomed yet but I am sure they will

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Yup, irises are one time bloomers. And generally they won't bloom the year you divide them or move them. And keep an eye on them or they will OWN YOU!

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Yeah Lisa that's what kicked my big booty this spring was leaving them alone. I plan on thinning them and the ginger and adding iris and a hardy hibiscus I think. Still researching

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have the dark leafed cannas in my waterfall area and they came from broken off pieces and had no roots but looked today and they have roots .The black elephant ears are spreading like crazy but dug som
101_0682.JPG
e up to give away

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I going to take a couple of them and wash the roots and put them in a pot in the waterfall pond
101_0772.JPG
101_0773.JPG
101_0774.JPG
101_0775.JPG

Ask a Question