Catfish

Reaction score
Economy being what it is, anybody think of converting their pond into a catfish pond. Raise catfish for food? wonder how many catfish a 3000 gallon pond would support.

Reaction score
D&RW said:
Economy being what it is, anybody think of converting their pond into a catfish pond. Raise catfish for food? wonder how many catfish a 3000 gallon pond would support.

Probably cost more for catfish food than to buy catfish from the supermarket.
:icon_mrgreen:

Reaction score
we love catfish. spent a lot of time in the south and ate a lot of really tasty fried catfish, some right out of ponds that folks maintained and had their own little restaurant.

frankly, I'd love to be able to do it, but I think you guys are right. our pond is too small and it'd probably cost as much in food as what we'd spend to buy them.

trout eh?

BlakeA

koiboy
Reaction score
Not sure of how off topic this is, but my roommate asked me about putting a plecostomus in my pond to help clean it. I've seen alot of these fish grow to very large size4s in bigger aquariums, and i think it would be so cool, to have one grow so big from being in a medium sized pond. But I'm not sure of the dangers to the Koi i plan to have in the pond. Any insight ot experience in this matter?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i have 3 piecos in my pond they have to winter indoors, mine are 8 to 10" now. they pose no threat to the koi and the koi pose no threat to them.

Reaction score
i have 3 catfish in each of my ~300 gallon pond. This is along with 3 other koi/goldfish in one and 9 other koi/goldfish in the other. My wife is the fish feeder and she hasn't been feeding them anything other than the koi/goldfish food. they eat that. one of them in the back pond is almost 2' long.

they were all here when we moved in 5 months ago.

Ask a Question