Catfish

Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
I have a local pond
I started with 200,120 catfish. Now after 4months and 3wks I only sold 144kg and I can’t find fishes in my pond again and none is floating. Please what could have happened to them?

Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
I have a local pond
I started with 200,120 catfish. Now after 4months and 3wks I only sold 144kg and I can’t find fishes in my pond again and none is floating. Please what could have happened to them?
Sorry 2120*(two thousand one twenty)

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum! Looks like you are raising these as a business? With the information provided, we can only speculate. What is the size and depth of the pond? If there is no sign of the fish even at the bottom, then I would guess either some type of predation or theft. I have read about cannibalism https://agricfarming.com/how-to-reduce-cannibalism-in-catfish/ . Other predators could be local wildlife. Many on this forum have problems with herons and some with snakes eating their fish.

Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
There’s no predator but there are two narrow road close to it that strangers could come from

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1665076205003.gif
and welcome @Ajifowobaje
How do you know there are no predators? Do you have camera's set up there?

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
My guess is as @JRS said cannibalism and as was mentioned how do you know there are no predators, unless where you are located there aren’t any. Fish population like any animal is going to be limited by available food, some will grow faster than others then being able to eat the smaller/weaker fish.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome!

Does this pond have any water movement, like with a fountain or waterfall? If not, your fish could be dying and being eaten by the other fish. Lots of possible things could be going on — hard to give you an exact answer.

Ask a Question