Losing catfish

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Question,

I put catfish fingerlings in my pond last fall. This spring I found 2 dead. Since March I have randomly found 2 more dead. No signs of struggle from predators. They had no visible signs of disease etc. I tested my water for excess nitrates , ph etc. everything tested perfectly. I have two water falls running and have seen no signs of any other fish struggling for oxygen etc. I have only lost catfish?? Anyone have any ideas here?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Never had catfish in my pond.

Some thoughts-getting enough food-Sunken bellies etc? Perhaps a disease organism they came with that has not affected the other fish that does show obvious external physical signs? Are the survivors growing at all? How many?

Interesting reading: https://www.profitablefishfarming.com/major-causes-of-mortality-in-catfish/
Yes survivors are growing I have some that are almost 2 pounds now. I have been feeding them a cup full of floating / sinking food mixed

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Where do you live and how big is your pond? What kind of catfish? What other fish do you have?
I live in Lynnville , Tn. It’s. 45’wide 75’ long 8 1/2 ft deep at deepest point. Channel cat. I have hybrid bluegill, red ear sunfish and a few KOI

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States

Ask a Question