CATS WITH HEALTH ISSUES..... MOM IS WORRIED!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
My cats are weird as they won't eat wet cat food at all or meat from our table. They only will eat dry food and I feed them "Taste of the Wild" as it is grain free, comes in 2 flavors http://www.tasteofthewildpetfood.com/ They don't seem to need to eat as much as they used to or poo as much either and they like it a lot. It is a bit more money but worth it. Used to feed Iam's but that kinda went downhill in quality I heard.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
My beloved cats Spooky and Boo:

IMG_3796 (Large).JPG

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I will try any thing and found you tube can be a big help if I don't know .I found out side there is now a wild turkey hanging out today and he was eating the bird seed .I guess he survived all you meat eaters over the holiday . :razz: No john I am just cheap and if I can figure it out I can do it .NEVER SAY NO CAN DO .My fathers daughter

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
:) KITTY CAT UPDATE:

Good news for Scout, the kitten! He had his echo and stuff done today. His heart looks great! There is something going on with his lungs, possibly where he could have been infected with a lung parasite (recall, I picked him up on the side of the road when he was 8 wks old so no telling WHAT he'd been exposed to.) We're treating for "lungworms" (sounds awful!) and waiting for some lab to come back. It's also possible he could have heart worms -- rare in cats & untreatable in cats, but possible. That test is pending, also. So we watch & wait!

Casper, the diabetic is going back to the vet day after tomorrow to get his insulin dose adjusted. However, his PM sugar was actually normal tonight, so no insulin. It's possible that his mouth infection is better (after antibiotics), plus he had a little bladder infection. If those have calmed down, his "diabetes" might be on hold for now. Oh, I hope so!

I'm a happy Mom, tonight!

Reaction score
JW are your cats twins? Very pretty kitties! I feed my kitties the good stuff also, it is a bit more, but like you said, they don't need to eat as much with no fillers in it, so I think it evens out.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Great news about your kittiesTM and Fishy my cats are sisters. There were 5 kittens at a garage sale that we stopped at many yrs ago and I wanted one. Hubby said no we don't need any cats. So we drove for a bit and I said gee that's too bad about not getting the kitten and I said I could have gotten 2 and they could play together for life. So he just turns around and we go back and I pick out 2. Never thought we'd get one let alone 2. They slept together and played all the time. Now they don't like each other anymore since I got them spayed when they were about 4 months old. The nurse at the vets said after the surgery they had to separate them as they were hissing and spitting at each other. She thought each one blamed the other one for their pain. To this day they can't stand each other! Weird!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks, all!

Well, Casper's blood sugar went from 159 last night [high, but good] to 519 this morning. One problem is getting him to eat the foods [low carb] he needs. You have to keep in mind that he has these mouth ulcers, and can ONLY eat canned food. He's REALLY picky, and will only eat a small variety of foods -- and there are some brands that he won't even touch! We're starting out by mixing the low carb food with his usual food, with mixed results. He's a challenge!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Great news about your kittiesTM and Fishy my cats are sisters. There were 5 kittens at a garage sale that we stopped at many yrs ago and I wanted one. Hubby said no we don't need any cats. So we drove for a bit and I said gee that's too bad about not getting the kitten and I said I could have gotten 2 and they could play together for life. So he just turns around and we go back and I pick out 2. Never thought we'd get one let alone 2. They slept together and played all the time. Now they don't like each other anymore since I got them spayed when they were about 4 months old. The nurse at the vets said after the surgery they had to separate them as they were hissing and spitting at each other. She thought each one blamed the other one for their pain. To this day they can't stand each other! Weird!

Forever, we've had a 3-cat limit in our household. Then we walked into PETCO one afternoon on a pet-adoption day to get kitty litter. Son & I were taken by this fuzzy little black kitten and Hubby made the "mistake" of saying that we should get it out and play with it. That was Casper, cat #4. Best "mistake" Hubby ever made ;)
There have been some additions and losses since then, but eventually we got back down to 3. Then I found Abby, 5-week old tabby kitten in LOWE'S parking lot. Love at first sight! She was #4. Then came Scout, the road-side-rescue, #5 this summer.

The "family dynamics" among cats IS strange. Casper is the most lovable, laid back thing! But Koda is a bully, and sometimes attacks and chases him. Abby grew up watching Koda, so she also goes after Casper. Marshall gets along with everyone, but is easily pushed around if Koda wants his spot. Scout gets along with everyone, but because he's still a kitten, can irritate Casper. Sometimes I wonder if the "bully" behavior stems from the primal instinct of "thinning the herd" or getting rid of the weakest.

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
Since we lost Buffer, our big male cat, to cancer Sunny girl is truly a lap cat. She loves to go out and play but her favorite spot is on my left thigh. At night Sunny literally lays atop Cathy's chest making it her comfy zone. There's no doubt that we have spoiled this grown kitty. :)))))

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Spoiling is what they are there for and they give us so much love and joy that they deserve it all. My little cat Boo licks my arms and it is rather soothing, might sound gross but it puts me to sleep on the couch. Then I wake up and have to re-watch my movie that I missed all over again!
I think she thinks I'm just another bigger cat that needs grooming :razz:

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Glad to hear the good news. I switched our cats to the Taste of the Wild food. We call it cougar food as our cats have gotten very active since they have been on it, even our 9 year old Boo. It does come in cans and is grain free so it helps with food allergies.

Ask a Question