CATS WITH HEALTH ISSUES..... MOM IS WORRIED!

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
Spoiling is what they are there for and they give us so much love and joy that they deserve it all. My little cat Boo licks my arms and it is rather soothing, might sound gross but it puts me to sleep on the couch. Then I wake up and have to re-watch my movie that I missed all over again!
I think she thinks I'm just another bigger cat that needs grooming :razz:

Sunny licks Cathy's arms and my bearded face. ):-

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
shame on you JW coming between siblings like that .shame shame :razz:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Sad news. My widowed sister-in-law in South Alabama called to tell us that one of her best friends just passed away due to multiple complications after contracting MRSA from a pet cat scratch. After admittance into hospital the infection rapidly spread through her blood stream. With a weakened Immune system pneumonia set in followed by coma and death. I was told the nice lady loved living in the country along with caring for her outdoor cats and wild birds.

Our Sunny is partially declawed so Cathy and I routinely get slight scratches. I'm sure we will now better care for such wounds.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
That is sad and scary also. I'll try not to get scratched too and if I do will clean it up and apply Neosporin or something similar. Wondering tho if someone gets MRSA if any household care products would even help?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
That is sad and scary also. I'll try not to get scratched too and if I do will clean it up and apply Neosporin or something similar. Wondering tho if someone gets MRSA if any household care products would even help?

I really do not know J.W. . That would be a good question for your GP. So many infections are becoming resistant to antibiotics. I would err on the side of caution and consult a doc if I got any sort of severely infected wound.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Just looked this up on MRSA

Symptoms

By Mayo Clinic staff
Staph infection
Staph skin infections, including MRSA, generally start as small red bumps that resemble pimples, boils or spider bites. These can quickly turn into deep, painful abscesses that require surgical draining. Sometimes the bacteria remain confined to the skin. But they can also burrow deep into the body, causing potentially life-threatening infections in bones, joints, surgical wounds, the bloodstream, heart valves and lungs.
When to see a doctor
Keep an eye on minor skin problems — pimples, insect bites, cuts and scrapes — especially in children. If wounds become infected, see your doctor. Do not attempt to treat an MRSA infection yourself. You could worsen it or spread it to others.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
MRSA was one of the infections that would have all of us in full body coverings when working on a patient, total room shut down. Very scary infection.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
That sounds like a terrible disease to get and hope nobody I know ever gets it!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Well, Casper, the diabetic is still running high blood sugars [400's-500's], but checked with our vet and she says since he's just starting on insulin, not going to make any changes until his check-up next week. I guess they'll do the equivalent of a glucose tolerance test, and check serial glucose levels throughout the day. At lease he is tolerating and doing well with the "testing" procedure. I'm doing the blood sticks on his ears, prewarming them. He enjoys having his ears "messed with" so this is almost like a special treat for him [I don't think he even feels the sticks 'cause I'm using a small gauge needle]. And he's acting like he feels better, not peeing as much, etc.

Scout, well, not much to say about him. Since his tests only showed the possibility of mild pulmonary problems, we're just watching him. One thought was a parasitic infection that has a life-stage in the lungs, or "lung worms," or heart worms [no heart worms were visible in his HEART during the ECHO, and she looked closely at his lungs, but said the lungs were harder to visualize]. We're treating him for parasites, and checking his resting respiratory rate. His resp. rate is ABSOLUTELY NORMAL so far! We were seeing 30's to 60's or so for a resting [when he's asleep] rate, to 19!!! YEA!!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
In memory of Buffer

Buffer atop the whiskey barrel 2.jpg

Buffer at the pond 4.jpg

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
So sorry about your kitties Mmathis.

Thanks! Things are going quite well, though. ALL of Scout's tests are back now, and everything in as normal as could be! We just have to keep an eye on him for respiratory probs. Casper got his insulin dosage increased, and his sugars are looking better. He's goes back for another vet-check next week.

Big Lou, thanks for posting your kitty pics! Take away the white on Buffer, and that's what Casper looks like. And I was taken by the richness of Sunny's tortie coat - such a beautiful reddish brown color.

Have you told us Buffer's story? What happened to him (her?)?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Thanks! Things are going quite well, though. ALL of Scout's tests are back now, and everything in as normal as could be! We just have to keep an eye on him for respiratory probs. Casper got his insulin dosage increased, and his sugars are looking better. He's goes back for another vet-check next week.

Big Lou, thanks for posting your kitty pics! Take away the white on Buffer, and that's what Casper looks like. And I was taken by the richness of Sunny's tortie coat - such a beautiful reddish brown color.

Have you told us Buffer's story? What happened to him (her?)?

Buffer passed away due to cancer.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Sorry Lou, about Buffer, was it recent? Buffer reminds me of our feral cat Lucy only she was oj and white. She died a couple yrs ago. Sunny is a pretty cat!

IMG_0845.JPG

Ask a Question