Cattails

Reaction score
OOoooo I would love some Cattails ( hot dog ended ones :LOL: ) for my pond. anything to create a natural environment for my fish and frogs. :) Are you able to just pull up the plant close to the water or must you dig them up?

:goldfish:

Reaction score
OOoooo I would love some Cattails ( hot dog ended ones :LOL: ) for my pond. anything to create a natural environment for my fish and frogs. :) Are you able to just pull up the plant close to the water or must you dig them up?

:goldfish:
You need to dig up the roots. The best way to do it is use a spade and cut a circle around a clump of plant and try and bring up a root ball.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I just pulled some up from my brothers pond and stuck them in between the rocks. They have taken off and now I have to divide them a few times a year or else they take over the creeks. I think these things are very easy to transplant and get going.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I bought some of the mini black elephant ears and after 2 months they are around 10 inches tall and says they top out at 18 inches

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
talking about plants any one ever try rubra says it is a lotus plant with burgandy leaves .I saw it on e-bay for 5.95 and free shipping

Reaction score
interesting ! SO I could just put the cattail with no pot stuck between rocks they'll be fine ? I'd like them to expand but I don't know that they can in the pot...

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
never heard of it either but sounds interesting tmann and would have to take it in during winter months but sounds like it has nice colors and read the flower is very fragrant also .But read it is not a lotus on a couple of sights but is a plumeria

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
rubra refers to it's color I guess but is also a lotus and they use them in fishtanks also

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
interesting ! SO I could just put the cattail with no pot stuck between rocks they'll be fine ? I'd like them to expand but I don't know that they can in the pot...

Yep. I don't have any of my plants in pots with the exception of two of a few lilies that I have never transplanted and when I do I will probably just tie a rock around the tuber and sink it to the bottom. The catails are very easy to grow, I have given them away to people who want them. Mine get about 3-4 feet tall would rather have the mini ones though.

Reaction score
Ok, I dug up about 8 cattails from work. Was super easy. Potted them in mesh baskets at surface level, the small ones look awesome, the bigger ones lean, might try to perfect that, or might just let mother nature fix this for me. Put 6 in the koi pond and 2 in the goldfish pond. Definitely adds a new visual element to the pond which is nice.

Ask a Question