check out what I found in my backflush water

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
He's doing good, he's in the 300 gallon pond, doesn't hang with the bigger koi (5-6")in there much but he has a spot I can find pretty easy that he likes and stays. when it comes out it is bright mettalic yellow. Seems to be fine and eating like a little pig. My son has been calling him Dumplin all this week and it sounds like it might just stick as being it's new name....LOL
He reminded me of a pair of baby squirrels we raised from bottle feeding up. The Boy one was named Dump and the Girl was named Ling, Together we had squirrel dumplings. LOL My son was like 3-4 at the time and 22 now, So I thought it was a good name considering I found it while dumping the nasty fish water....

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Amazing how the names just come to you sometimes and just fit perfect and that one is just just perfect for little Dumplin :fish:
Now you'll have to find another one and name him or her Chicken :lol:

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
Hay fishin, I was cleaning my solids filter yesterday after about a year. After draining the water down I noticed a small koi, silver in color, down in the muck. Before I could grab it, it flushed out the bottom drain. No problem I just picked him up off the lawn. I am guessing it is from last season as it is smaller then last years but larger then this years. Not much food or light in the filter but it managed to survive. I tossed him in the pond and he is hiding right now. I didn't have my camera handy at the time.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
well another lucky little guy guess this is insight for everyone when you clean the gunk out look in it you never know what could be there

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
sissy said:
well another lucky little guy guess this is insight for everyone when you clean the gunk out look in it you never know what could be there

You bet sissy. I cant believed he survived in there.:lol:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
well really you think he still had a good source of food I had 1 baby in my filter 2 years ago don't know how long he was in there but he was big and healthy .he now lives in my neighbors pond and he is king

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
koidaddy said:
Hay fishin, I was cleaning my solids filter yesterday after about a year. After draining the water down I noticed a small koi, silver in color, down in the muck. Before I could grab it, it flushed out the bottom drain. No problem I just picked him up off the lawn. I am guessing it is from last season as it is smaller then last years but larger then this years. Not much food or light in the filter but it managed to survive. I tossed him in the pond and he is hiding right now. I didn't have my camera handy at the time.

may actually be from this year, I have no doubts mine was from this year, I cleaned the filter early in the spring and know it wasn't there then. It is easily 3-4 times bigger than the other fry I was able to save this year, don't know if they get plenty of food or if the strong current makes them grow faster or what but I have no doubts that the one I got out of the filter is from this year, My fry from last year are getting close to 10" long the fry from this year are about 1/2" long or slightly less., Dumplin is about 1 1/2" already and I can tell it has grown some since I found it

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
No steroids, LOL I had three survivors I kept from last year, The largest is about 10" the smallest is about 7" ( Butterfly Koi and I'm including with tail) I do feed several different types of food, One big thing is our growing season is about 10 months long!

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
I found another survivor! I was cleaning out my plant bogs which are fed with a small pump. It was full of pea gravel. Over the inlet at the bottom of the container I have a plastic3" mesh pot to keep the stones out when the pump cycled off(which I haven't done in a while). The water had stopped flowing out so I pulled the hose from the connector tee(two seperate tubs) and there was a 1" koi stuck at the tee! I pulled him out and he was still moving some. Placed him in the water in the palm of my hand untill he drifted away. About an hour later I noticed him by the edge of some rocks, so I bent down to give him a nudge and he darts back down to the bottom of the pond.:confused: I have seen no signs of him since because I am doing maintanance and only have a couple feet visability at the moment. Here is the crazy part. He was living in an area no bigger then a dixie cup under 6 inches of pea gravel. Again did not have the camera handy and was panicked just to get him back in the pond. He is silver with an orange head.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
How neat! keep an eye out for the lil guy or gal

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
addy1 said:
How neat! keep an eye out for the lil guy or gal

Thanks addy1. It really was a rush tryig to save him, her, it.:confused: I still haven't seen the one I saved from my 55 gal filter. Maybe in a couple days when the water clears. :confused:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I saw a tiny tiny fry in my bog, tried to grab it and it disappeared, I mean like 1/4 inch in size. Then the gfi tripped, and the little bit of water it was swimming in poofed. So no clue if it is still around. No clue how it got there unless an egg attached to a frog leg.

They can hide well, I now see them when I throw food into the deep end, but do have a lot of plant coverage.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
well still not sure if my fish spawned usually I can tell but this year no clue ..I know the water was more than warm enough ,but with all the stuff in the air from the foresting I have to keep pond covered and trying to keep it somewhat clean .I am not sure all of whats in the air ,but they have been cutting down scrub pines that are over 50 ft. high .If I have to go out I have to clean the windows in the truck just to see and have to wash down the house and windows

Ask a Question