Check this out----if money was no object

whiskey

Always trying to perfect something fishy
Reaction score
whilst viewing you tube came accross this , this person loves fish and spending money, like it fresh of the press. WOW

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
wow nice, but I like my simple garden pond ..................

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Too complicated for me but I guess if you have the brains to figure it all out and the money and lots of time then go for it! I lead a rather simple ponding life................hole in ground, throw in pump attached to filter falls, throw in plants and gently toss in the fish..........voila.........lol!

whiskey

Always trying to perfect something fishy
Reaction score
addy1 i quite agree, o.t.t. must have prize fish or shows their fish at show to win money etc. to go to all that expense. For me im happy ponding with my humble twin puddles.he he ........but JOHN.........maybe this week.....hmmmmmmmmmmm can i buy most things at your centre ......if

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Heck, Terry; if you win enough you can buy the whole centre!!!!! And I just placed my 2012 pond plant order, so you'll have lots. John

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I think he/she is way more interested in the mechanics than the fish! I sure wanted a close up of the fish, but barely got to see them. Looked like some really large koi in there, pretty, too, but didn't get to focus much on them.

I agree with everyone else, love my humble pond and waterfall. Built it myself, sure could not maintain what this one has, but it sure is amazing all the work and time this person has put into the filtration system. Those fish must be in koi heaven there.

Reaction score
WOW! Can you say elaborate overkill? Looks awesome, just the system itself is cool. Sure it works wonderfully, but is the volume of the filtration larger than the pond itself??? LOL

I had the opportunity to buy a chiller for $2! It was about as big as a chest type deep freezer. I thought that was uneccessary, this guy has TWO!

Holy cow!

Gordy

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I agree, although Koi can be kept in a water garden, and plants can be kept in a Koi pond really they are still quite different. Water gardens IMO are minature eco systems that can house both plants and fish in a enclosed system. Koi ponds need lots of water and lots of filtration, If you have ever kept a larger koi in a bare bottom tub you will see they put out massive amounts of waste. In a water garden plants help breakdown this waste. In a true koi pond the waste are eliminated from system so as to keep breakdown into the water at a minimum.
If you have read Peter Waddingtons Koi Kichi book this type of design is quite common for serious Koi keepers in the UK. I've watched many Koi pond videos and I've seen ponds that 50% of the water volumne was actually in the filter. So a 10,000 gallon pond may actually have 15,000 gallons of water in circulatiing through the entire system. Is it overkill? Not at all, this is designed in order to house a population of super large Koi. It goes back to the point that these fish do get extremely large. a 2' koi isn't a Big koi, 36" koi weighing 25#+ is a large koi, now house 10 or 15 of these guys. In actual waste that is equal to raising 750-1000 4"-6" koi.
I just wish we had more serious Koi keepers in our area, I would love to get more first hand looks at how some of these are set up and the pro's and cons to each pond. I'm going to be building a far bigger and far better koi pond in the near future. Not sure just yet how I'm doing the filter but I can tell you, i want more filter than is needed, I don't want to be wondering if I have enough filter to house my big guys!

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
If Money was no object, well I though I would share with everyone a few video's of David Soons Koi ponds. I highly recommend taking some time and look through his 105 video's You'll see a link at the top of the page to click on his video's, If you have a Youtube account you can subscibe to David's video's and you'll get a update when he posts a new one. Sit back and take the time to enjoy!

the building of Skylars pond.
Skylars Pond after stocking
Amazing HUH? How about a viewing of Pauls pond?

Have to include the pulling for a show from shadow's pond
And just when you thought the ponds were fine, Check out this office!

A few things I would like to share, Listen close to the music, In some of the video's you'll here the water right along with the music. David believes in a few neat things that I thought were interesting to say the least. The music is actually playing right there for the fish. David believes not only is it relaxing to the viewer but a calming effect to the fish as well. Also, each of his ponds has a Chagoi, Ochiba, or Karashigoi. These fish are known for the calming effect they have on the herd. Some of these measure over 36" long. One last thing I would like to make note of, Most of the fish your viewing are Champions. It's not common to see many true championship Koi in video's much less a whole pond full! Some of these fish are World champions, yes World his fish have been displayed and shown in several countries during some of the biggest Koi shows all over the world.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Fantastic video's and I can see that he has put his whole heart and life into his fish. Are those fish really blue in the video's? I'm so relaxed now after watching and listening to that music........no more headache from shoveling mulch,lol!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lol jw it relaxes me to shovel mulch...............

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Very cool videos, thanks for sharing them, Larkin. In the Skylar's Pond one, he had several that I've heard referred to as "3 step", where their nose is white, red head patch, then white, red, white, red, and white on the tail. Those were neat! And, in Paul's Pond, at 2:00 minutes and again at 3:34 or so, he zooms in a little at a fish that has almost a zig zag effect of the red from the top view, going back and forth along it's back. Wow, that is really neat!
Koiguy, Paul's fish are beautiful, too! Is the one that looks blue with red on the side an Asagi? I have an Asagi, younger than that one, and not quite as pretty, but that's what I'm hoping it will look similar to when it matures. That one is gorgeous, whatever it is!

Ask a Question