Check valves....back flow from bog?

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I have the same set-up on my home-made drum filter; the 1 1/2" ABS pipe enters near the top of the drum, then goes to within 6" of the bottom, where it has a "T", and two 45 degree elbows to create a swirl. A tiny hole is drilled just above water level before the pipe enters the elbow to go downward. The small amount of leakage makes little difference in the filter, but it prevents the contents of the drum from being siphoned out of the drum and back into the pond. The hole, btw, is only 1/8".
John

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Sweet! Thanks Haro. I am thinking since my PVC is 1/2 the diameter as yours I might be able to get away with a hole much smaller. I'm just going to start with my smallest drill bit and keep going up until it stops. The good news is I only have water in my bog area right now so it's easy to monitor.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
This is what I have done. Yes there is a small amount of water being sprayed out in my bog but not enough to be a problem and it works for keeping the bog from back flushing.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I have a hole drilled in my pipe about 1" below water level, that way some of the water does drain before the suction breaks. It also gives some resistance so as the water doesn't spray to much when the pump is running. Start with a very small hole and work bigger until you find what works best for you.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have a hole drilled in my pipe about 1" below water level, that way some of the water does drain before the suction breaks. It also gives some resistance so as the water doesn't spray to much when the pump is running. Start with a very small hole and work bigger until you find what works best for you.
What size is a good starting point for the hole? I need to do that with the Skippy -- when I set it back up, I did away with my original inlet system and now the hose is going straight in.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I haven't drilled mine yet but planning on starting with the smallest drill bit I have and keep working up until it breaks the suction. Haro said he drilled a 1/8" hole.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
The 1/8" hole gives a bit of a whistle as the water in the pipe leading TO the filter drains, but it does the job. And this is 1 1/2" ABS.
John

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Feedback..... I drilled a 1/8th inch hole yesterday. So far, no issues. I turned off the pump, and the Skippy only drained down to just below the level of the hole. I didn't have a lot of pipe-length so the hole is actually slightly below water level. The pump does push some water through the hole which by-passes the filter part, but the hole is so small.... It should do fine as long as it doesn't get plugged with anything.

Ask a Question