Chemicals for green water??

Reaction score
If you have a new pond as you say you will get green water, trust me i know i have a new pond that went from clear to green in two days after being set up for 2 weeks. there is no quick way to get rid of the green water except for UV or time. I beleive those that have clear ponds with nothing but filtration have ponds that have been established for months or years. Unfortuantly with us with new ponds we dont have that natural balance there yet and are batteling with green water and want it gone NOW. I have now taken back a step and will let my pond come natural balance and let the good bacteria form in my filters. Untill i look at my green pond and add a UV filter.

PS3

Reaction score
koikeepr said:
The speed at which the water runs through the barrel does not affect the bacteria. They will be there unless it's niagra falls. As DrD says, establishing bacteria on a new media can take weeks....patience, patience.

this is good to know because i though the water had to run though the barrel slow
so now if i ever want to get a bigger pump i can

Reaction score
dwell time doesn't really matter in a barrel bio filter. It matters in a settlement drum, as you need the water to spin properly so that the solids settle down and the clean water floats up. It also matters in the case of a UV--whereby water needs to go through slow enough so that the light can zap it to kill all the algae and such.

But generally in a standard bio filter, the media will catch the crud no mater how fast (within reason, of course) or slow it goes. Like I said, you don't want water rushing through it like crazy either, but even with semi fast moving water, the bacteria can pretty much hang on.

Of course, I'm talking about the bacteria specifically as the question was asked. There are other factors involving fast moving water in a filter to be considered. For example, you have to have the proper sized pipes or hosing to accomodate faster moving water otherwise your barrel can overflow or draw down. You can't expect a 1" pipe to run water through it on a 55 gal barrel, for example. Just gotta use some basic common sense.

Reaction score
bsr8129 said:
I'm running 1 inch pipe and it only takes mine 2:40 to fill up which is approx 1100 gal an hour

Are you talking about a 55 gallon barrel or a smaller container?

If it's a barrel, you really should be using at least a 2" pipe in my opinion. But you are certainly free to use whatever you like in your pond. At the end of the day, it's to each his/her own.

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
Also beware of the spiral hoses if they are going to be in the direct elements. Most important direct sun. I went that route for the first year and had to replace with hard line(1 - 1/2' pvc). I have had the black hose split right in the middle and not notice it intill I lost quite a bit of water.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I have been using black spiral hose for many years with no problems. It is mostly hidden, either under water, rocks or plants.
I am surprised that you have had problems with it?

Ask a Question