Chemicals for green water??

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
Maybe I just have bad luck. Mine was the spiral lined tubing you get at the home depot garden/pond department. I got about a year out of it and had a failure. Florida summers are pretty intense sun wise. It may have been old stock.

Oh well, more half cocked advice from me. LOL

I swear mine cracked.

Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken the home depot spiral hose is a little different than the soft piping I have. The one I have has metal as the spiral (you gotta use a clipper to use a hack saw to get though that little metal spiral), whereas I think that HD one is just corrugated plastic and you can just cut it with a utility knife.

Reaction score
Where I got my hose, they said the spiral stuff needs to be sheltered/protected because it can break down relatively quickly. I got black flexible PVC, which was slightly cheaper anyway. One nice thing with the flex PVC is that it will accept standard PVC glue fittings and also barb fittings, depending on how your other plumbing is set up. Only downside with it is that it cannot curve quite as tightly as the spiral stuff, but it was not a problem for me at all.

HTH.

PS3

Reaction score
i just got 20 feet of of the black terta kink free hose for 20 dollars
the sun is not to bad here on long island ny
this one pet store called BTJ'S jungle wanted 60 dollars for 20 foot
this guy is a rip off

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
koikeepr said:
If I'm not mistaken the home depot spiral hose is a little different than the soft piping I have. The one I have has metal as the spiral (you gotta use a clipper to use a hack saw to get though that little metal spiral), whereas I think that HD one is just corrugated plastic and you can just cut it with a utility knife.

You are correct koikeepr. Mine was the stuff with the plastic spiral. I will have to check my local pond store for the metal ringed hose when I redo the pond. This was from when I first set up my pond back in 2006. This stuff is pretty thin walled as well.
Thank you and glad to clear it up.
I really don't want to misguide anyone. I just get overexcited sometimes and don't think things through totally. Darn ADHD. :bouncycig::bouncycig::bouncycig::bouncycig:

Reaction score
just a warning that the stuff you will find at the pond store will be pricey per foot. The stuff ain't cheap, but is very tough. It's very hard to crush because of the metal spriraling. You can lay a flat rock on it, dirt, whatever to hide it.

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
DrDave said:
All of mine came from Home Depot and after over 3 years, it is still fine.

I am wondering if maybe it not having water flowing 24/7 had something to do with my failure. It was supplying a water fall that I would only run when I wanted the show off to my friends.(to much evaporation/splashing out when running full time) I have sence removed it.
I still have some small sections in the shed I think. I hate throwing things away. I need to go check those, but when mine failed I could just take it and bend it and it would split.

And I remember when I got it all there pond stuff was very dirty. It could have been real old stock.

I still think its my bad luck. If theres a bad one on the shelf, that will be the one I end up with.

Thanks for the tip on the $$ of the tubing koikeepr. I would only use it for small sections maybe. I have found I can use pvc 1 1/2" hard line for 95% of the plumbing. Actually I have 100% right now but if I wanted to hide the plumbing where it goes into the pond better, the tubing will be my choice. I still have the 1 1/2" hard line to tubing adaptors I fabricated.

I try to budget so much money each year just for pond upgrades.

Ask a Question