Sludge removal chemicals?

Reaction score
Has anyone found a good one? The reason I ask is that when I did my build, I didn't have the forward thinking to put in a bottom drain.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
A bit late, but... Laguna's Bio Sludge Control apparently works very well. I've never used it, but have a number of repeat customers who just love the product. John

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Has anyone found a good one? The reason I ask is that when I did my build, I didn't have the forward thinking to put in a bottom drain.

You can put in a retro fit bottom drain, they work pretty well

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
The problem is most of them will effecct your good bacteria as well if im not mistaken. Or at least suffercate your filter.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
These products ARE good bacteria. It just gives the ones you already have a boost. John

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
These products ARE good bacteria. It just gives the ones you already have a boost. John

So they do both? Remove the sludge and add benificial bact? I tried green cleen or something to the effect years ago and ended up making things worse. Maybe the pond store money makers have gotten better. To me though nothing beats a good pump and filter.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Don't get me wrong, Koidaddy; I personally don't use any additives in my pond. But when you are faced with some unexpected situation, these products can be helpful, John

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, Koidaddy; I personally don't use any additives in my pond. But when you are faced with some unexpected situation, these products can be helpful, John

No problem. Thanks for the info on them though. I don't want to mislead anyone.
Noel

Reaction score
It adds bacteria and enzymes to process the sludge faster. I use them from time to time if I notice a large build up, but I only do 1/2 strength doses. They work great BUT there is a catch. If your filter is not large enough or you don't preform water changes during that time then your ammonia/nitrites can spike depending on how much build up there is. In the end you will get more nitrAtes.

So if you had a ton of sludge and did a 1-2x dose and your pond was in full sun. And you skipped water changes.....then expect some green soup.

Might have been what happened to you Koidaddy. Thats why I use 1/2 doses and spread it out over a few months then do one super large cleaning.

Reaction score
Hi all !

I up this topic cos I have a question.

the difference between a flocculant and a sludge removal solution ?

I guess the flocculant from what I understand does not destroy the particles right ? While a sludge removal solution does ?

Sorry if it's stupid question... I just don't trust store people anymore.

thx

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
flocculants use polymers to gather and bind together small particles, making larger clumps that can be caught by mechanical filtration, (filter pads, floss. etc..) sludge products break down the debris built up on the floor of a pond...they contain bacterias, enzymes, and such. netting the pond floor or vaccuuming it is a quicker route of cleaning the pond floor...tetrapond sent me some sludge reducing pellets. i will use them. but i would guess theyre better at prevention, than eliminating existing sludge.

Reaction score
Sludge removal...where does it goes? Bacteria will eat organic waste, which is what the bottled sludge removal products I've seen say they have, bacteria. But it's like when I eat a dozen donuts...the donuts are indeed gone. But soon other organic matter appears...normally the next morning in my case. Some conversion is to gas which can escape the pond, so sludge is certainly reduced by bacteria, but some is also converted into fined organic matter, some of which is dissolved organic compounds (DOCs) which is another problem.

And bacteria doesn't eat dirt (sand, clay, etc).

So in a perfect world bacteria could reduce the amount of muck, but not really possible for it to remove all muck. And much of that reduction is just transferred to DOC which in many ponds is worse.

For the bacteria to work best you have to add O2 and stir the sludge by pointing a pump outflow at the bottom. When you do that the bacteria that's already there will multiply and grow to maximum levels in short order. No real reason to add bacteria. Adding bacteria into an environment that can't support more bacteria does nothing but add more sludge.

Reaction score
LOOOOOOOOOL thx a lot koiguy and waterbug.

Love the example waterbug lol

So I come to the conclusion that it would be another waste of hope for now.

At least I've tested the water everything came out fine... which is a good news it looks like the pond is settling.

thx again

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Rivermist;
I've found that people just feel better when they are DOING something. They don't want to wait for algae to clear or plants to start growing or whatever, so they go to the local pet shop or pond supplier, pick up a bottle of whatever strikes their fancy, and dump it in their pond. If nothing happens in a reasonable time frame, they buy something else and dump THAT in, and so on. Eventually the problem clears itself up, and the last "remedy" dumped in gets the credit. To me, that's a waste of money; to others it is a valuable form of therapy, and well worth the fifty or one hundred dollars spent! Certainly cheaper than a session with a therapist, and healthier because you spent time in the fresh air.
John

Reaction score
The thing is I've already put the basics in this recently cleaned pond... I want to let the water chemistry happen without adding something new every week.

It seems to be doing almost ok on its own... so unless I have a problem starting, I won't add anything anymore.

definitely learning a lot from here.

Ask a Question