Concerns about ponds impact on liability

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
Recalled a post sometime ago in which the OP was concerned about liability for having a "pond". Years ago we consulted our home insurance agent regarding that exact issue. We were told if questioned by a complaining neighbor, HOA or city code enforcement to state that we have a "water feature" in our garden. Our pond cannot be clearly seen from the street nor can it be easily seen or accessed by our rear neighbors because of tall, thick garden evergreens or by side neighbors due to our fence. Our agent went on to say it would be a willful, voluntary act by any person to locate and go to our water feature. Double talk to the max. That's why we voluntarily carry a sizable liability level.

God forbid any child ever be injured or drown.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I understand your concerns Lou. I have been selling koi from my ponds for several years and everybody wants to see the ponds. Our ponds are located 150 feet from our house and on a very steep slope. I have in the past allowed some people to go down there with the warning it was at their own risk. Now we are installing paving stone steps thru the yard but with all the heavy storms, the area around the ponds has washed out. It's bad enough for us to get down there safely so for now no access to anyone else. We do carry an umbrella policy but not planning on using it! Our HOA and most neighbors don't know we have ponds.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Ours are deep into our property, someone would need to walk over 150 feet to get anywhere near them. We don't worry about them. Most of our neighbors have no idea what our back yard looks like.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
My ponds are all inside my fence
I carry a high liability policy just like I would if I had a pool

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Recalled a post sometime ago in which the OP was concerned about liability for having a "pond". Years ago we consulted our home insurance agent regarding that exact issue. We were told if questioned by a complaining neighbor, HOA or city code enforcement to state that we have a "water feature" in our garden. Our pond cannot be clearly seen from the street nor can it be easily seen or accessed by our rear neighbors because of tall, thick garden evergreens or by side neighbors due to our fence. Our agent went on to say it would be a willful, voluntary act by any person to locate and go to our water feature. Double talk to the max. That's why we voluntarily carry a sizable liability level.

God forbid any child ever be injured or drown.

Big Lou do you know at all if the US does anything like this as it would cover both liability and insurance and if in use on your pond it would give you that extra peace of mind that no child is going to fall in and drown in your pond especially if they know your not at home and have snuck in to take a peak at the pond :-

http://www.pondsafety.com/

It can be installed under the ponds surface and so wont be an eye sore ruining the the pond or view of the pond

Dave

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Here there are so many farm ponds it is a given .No rules no regulations and insurance covers it under the farm part .Any property in the county over 3 acres is considered a farm .YEH I said farm ,funny HUH :)If you are in the city line it is covered by most insurances here as long as it is not over 10 thousand gallons and is in your back yard and fenced in . .

Ask a Question