Concrete coated carpet pond liner

n8r

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm building a small 600 gallon pond and trying to find the best cheap DIY way to do the liner. I like the idea of having concrete instead of black epdm for the visual appearance. I was thinking about using carpet remnants for the underlayment, then having a one piece plastic,vinyl, or pvc layer for waterproofing, then another layer of carpet over the plastic with the fuzzy side up. Then I would trowell on about 1/2" - 1" or so of a colored concrete layer over the carpet for the final finish and seal with a non-toxic sealer.

My thinking is that the plastic would be safely sandwiched between the two layers of carpet so it could be minimal thickness, and the concrete would bond extremely well into the carpet with all its fibers and voids between the strands. Even if the concrete got little cracks, it would still maintain structural integrity being bonded to the carpet and it would have the plastic behind to stop water leaking through.

This is my theorizing, and i see no reason for it to not last a very long time. Only potential downfall I can think of is if the cement got cracks and water got trapped in the carpet and caused build up of mold or gunk or whatever. Maybe this wouldn't be an issue though. Any thoughts about this idea or whether something similar has been done before?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
A similar method of pond construction has been used for years with a couple of major differences. EPDM liner was used s the protective liner under the concrete. Cheap plastic or vinyl liner will disintegrate over time. Additionally the concrete should be at least 2 - 3 inches thick or it will surely crack.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
A lot would depend on your location. Your idea MIGHT work in Florida, but in the northern states it would crack badly in a severe winter. Here in our area the concrete would have to be 4" minimum, with wire re-enforcement.
John

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I have no actual experience in Florida, hence the "MIGHT"! ;)
John
You can feel comfortable changing the 'might' to 'will'. Serviced several cracked concrete ponds over the years. Most, thankfully, were backed by EPDM liner so the cracks were only aesthetic.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I know by my hands when I work with concrete that it is very acidic .I wear gloves but it even does not help at times when you are mixing it .Splash back and your skin gets raw .I see that epdm comes in a green color .I know I saw it on you tube .But over time black liner is no longer black

Reaction score
Sissy concrete is alkaline, it is the alkalinity that dries and burns your hands. Try rubbing your hands in apple cider vinegar before and after working with cement, you'll find it helps a lot. Continue to wear gloves though. (y)

EPDM liner is likely the cheapest solution in the long run. If (when) you have to pull out and dispose of all that cement and carpet later because your pond is leaking you'll be wishing you had spent a few bucks on that liner.
If you are concerned about the looks of exposed liner, just make sure you install it in a way that there is no exposed liner above the water line. Below the water line the liner will look exactly like concrete once the bio-layer is established. There are many beautiful epdm liner ponds out there where you can't see the black liner at all.
I see this is your first post and the majority of people who join and ask a question like this in their first post never return or reply, hope you are not one of them. ;)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I would encourage you to go with EPDM liner. For a pond your size the cost is not that bad and you will have a job that is one and done.

n8r

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for all the reply's. I don't have a lot of experience with ponds yet, and this was just an idea I had with my limited knowledge. I didn't know that the EPDM would form a bio layer so that would be fine with me. Maybe I'll I'll just do EPDM and call it good.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
less heartbreaking than a big failure good luck and take lots of pics so we can watch you work hard ;)

Reaction score
Thanks for all the reply's. I don't have a lot of experience with ponds yet, and this was just an idea I had with my limited knowledge. I didn't know that the EPDM would form a bio layer so that would be fine with me. Maybe I'll I'll just do EPDM and call it good.
Here is what the Biolayer looks like on my EPDM liner.

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
When you go "cheap", it usually costs you three/four times as much over time, then you do it right and you've only spent five times as much for having "saved" the expense. Do what you will.

n8r

Reaction score
Country
United States
Here is what the Biolayer looks like on my EPDM liner.

Thanks for the video, that's a great looking pond! That's the natural kind of look I want so I'll just do it like that and forget the carpet and concrete.

Ask a Question