Concrete...what type?

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I have a question regarding large rocks in my pond. I'd like to cement some of the one's around the edges in place due to my dogs knocking them loose and into the pond. Can anyone tell me what type of cement is ok to use since I am worried about contiminating the water and killing the fish. Thanks for your time.

Camper Man

Pond Curator
Reaction score
I know that regular Portland cement won't affect your fish. Last summer, I had a contractor pour a four-inch concrete base to form a 35-foot streambed leading into my 1400-gallon pond. (The pond is 31 years old, also of concrete construction). He used Portland cement with an aggregate of small gravel poured over rebar. After letting this harden for a few days, I started flowing the pondwater down this concrete stream with no harm whatsoever to my four koi and assorted godfish.

I sure wish I could figure out a way to post a picture of this. But I keep getting an error that says my file-size exceeds the 1.45kb size limit for this web-site. I'll keep trying.

Camper Man

Pond Curator
Reaction score
The small waterfall is at the top of the streambed that was laid with Portland cement. If you look closely, you can see some of the gravel aggregate that was mixed in. To place rocks around your pond, Portland mixed with a coarse sand would work well. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Upper Stream.jpg
    Upper Stream.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 346
  • Streambed 66kb.jpg
    Streambed 66kb.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 384
Reaction score
Thank you for the reply, I will try that.
Your stream looks great by the way.

Camper Man

Pond Curator
Reaction score
Good question, Koiguy -- it certainly would have been wise to monitor the water chemistry closely in the days immediately after starting up the new stream. Unfortunately I didn't think of doing that at the time.

All I can tell you is that I've never had a ph reading above 8.0 from the 2 or 3 times a month that I regularly test the water. It probably helped that the contractor finished most of the streambed with an acrylic sealer (he brushed this stuff on the areas where he figured most of the water would run.)

Ask a Question