considering removing rocks from my pond...

Reaction score
Hello,

I am considering removing all of the rocks from the bottom of my pond to improve on maintenance, and I hope just reduce the algae blooms etc. Would you recommend this approach, or is there a better pond improvement approach.

current pond is 12 x 17 feet, and terraced to 2 feet deep at center. This is the second year for the pond and it is very full of 'gunk' on gteh bottom. I did not do a spring/fall maintenance. maybe that is what is required in this instance, rather than remove the rocks?

Thanks,
Chris

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
without the rocks on the bottom, it would make it a lot easier to clean ...a good leaf net would get the gunk.....i have a few large rocks in my ponds for shellter...spaced so i can clean around them, with the net. when needed.

Reaction score
I would consider my pond heavily planted...with lillies in pots, but the border/marginals just planted in the rocks. I assume that I will not be able to do the marginals etc., rather have to put them in pots? What about oxygenators, will they still grow well in a rockless pond?

So if I am going to do this, should I do it now...or maybe wait until fall or spring clean up?

Reaction score
To be honest , Get the rocks out now, I grow all my plants in pots. They do great and cleanup is a breeze. I have a pond vac and it makes this messy job a snap. The gunk in the rock can create other problems as well. Health and water quality. Doyour self a favor and remove them.:icon_smile:

Reaction score
PondLady,

I live in lexington, KY are you from this area? Never mind, I read you profile. Can you recommend which pondvac to purchase? Also to 'remove the rocks', I assume i could do this in phases, one part at a time, and without necessarily draining the pond completely?

Chris

Reaction score
:) Well not quite in you area. I live in utah I do have a daughter not far from Lexington. I would do the rocks in small phases, less stress on the fish and less filter cleaning. PONDOMATIC POND VAC. Got it from amazon.com beast price we could find. It is sooooooo nice it saves me a lot of work and I don't have to get in the pond nearly so often. I do believe there are a couple of models. Mine has a single chamber some have two , one empties as the there fills. So it is non stop. mine is just a single chamber so I have to wait for it to dump then turn back on. Not so fast but its ok for what I need. My girls are happy to!

Attachments

• 100_1043.jpg
    100_1043.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 382
  • DSCF0014.jpg
    DSCF0014.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 367

Ask a Question