Construction of The Hawkins' Family Pond

Reaction score
Hard to see but looks like it comes quite close to the top of the liner there. You are just gonna leave the bricks stacked but no mortar or anything right?

It is close to the top of the liner but, when done, it will not be. I need to make some adjustments to the most-bottom flat rock so that it will not back up the water quite that much. I am working my way down as it is easier to get to the top parts when I can stand in the lower parts.

Yes, they will be stacked with no mortar.

Reaction score
OK. I got a few more weekends of work in on the waterfall. I pretty much have the flat rocks in place (except for the last one which is leaking too much water under it...I need to redo some foam on it) so the remaining work was finding rocks to stack along the sides and around plants. One thing I learned is that you can not rush the picking and placement of rocks. Not much to say in way of words so I will let the pictures do the talking (with an occasional verbal input/explanation)...

IMG_0008.jpg

IMG_0020.jpg

IMG_0021.jpg

IMG_0023.jpg

IMG_0032.jpg

IMG_0034.jpg

For those of you following along, in the picture above there is a tall stack of rocks. Behind that tall stack is where I adhered the liner to the outside wall. The liner's purpose is to prevent any splash which may hit the stack of rocks from leaking out but, rather, it would be diverted back into the inside area. Although I am not thrilled with the final stack of rocks, and may redo it sometime, the end result is what I was after from a functional point.

IMG_0035.jpg

IMG_0036.jpg

IMG_0045.jpg

IMG_0051.jpg

IMG_0054.jpg

IMG_0056.jpg

IMG_5553.jpg

Here are a few videos:

I still have some work to do - most of which is cosmetic - but a lion's share of the effort is complete and I have had the falls running now for 8 days with no signs of leaks. Also, it has been around the 90's with the falls in the direct sun for about 3 hours mid-day and, over the course of that 8 days, the pond water level has dropped only about an inch. We have had a few rain showers but nothing of large volume so I believe that drop is due to evaporation as a leak in the falls would cause a more significant change.

Thanks

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I could not figure where you were going with this waterfall build. Then I see this and WOW! Just lovely! I love the layers, the plants, the size... Well done!

IMG_0054.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Getting close to done and looking better and better. The rock fitting is really a puzzle trying to get it to look just right. I know I have been there and still tweak mine now and then.

Reaction score
I could not figure where you were going with this waterfall build. Then I see this and WOW! Just lovely! I love the layers, the plants, the size... Well done!

Thanks and thanks to everyone else also. "I could not figure out where you were going with this waterfall build" - yea...sometimes I couldn't either. :) Its hard to explain but I had a pretty good idea what I wanted but it was difficult to describe it to others. I had a hard time describing the details even to myself. But as I went along I knew what I liked when I saw it and as my thoughts would unfold before me sometimes I was quite impressed with myself. :)

Change in plans...Last night I had an impromptu meeting with my co-investor and planning committee member (e.g. my wife) and we decided to nix the turtle pond part of the project. I was planning on a small turtle pond/enclosure against the house under the bay window and had recently been sharing my thoughts on its design. She told me that as much as she would like the turtle area she felt that her interest would be short lived and, after a period of time, it would have little of her attention. That is one reason why I love her so much - she is able to rationally assess things like this and make solid decisions as in this case where she felt her long term interest would not justify the work efforts, costs, and continued attention that the turtle pond would need. This change means that as I finish the details of the falls I can start planning the hardscape - flowerbeds, patio pavers, and other miscellaneous decorative items.

Stay tuned...

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Your falls turned out great and perfect flow. I think that frog isn't just a visitor, I think he's found home sweet home :D

Reaction score
Your falls turned out great and perfect flow. I think that frog isn't just a visitor, I think he's found home sweet home :D

Thanks. Actually he (he?) has been around for a couple of weeks. Sometimes when I am out working on the falls I will see him watching me and he does so for most if the day. Kinda neat. I do hope he hangs around as I have all the Mosquitos he cares to eat.

Reaction score
I have some updates and a bunch of pics. Due to the number of pics I will spread them across several thread entries.

Because of the the need to tighten the pond budget for awhile not a lot of work has been done so I have been focusing on those tasks which have little expense. The first one was to finish off the top of the waterfall's basin box.

IMG_0114.jpg

I purchased a couple of those metal mesh gutter guards and screwed them to the wood top being sure to leave space under the mesh so that the mortar would have something to adhere to.

IMG_0115.jpg

Then I spent some time digging through my remaining rocks trying to find the right combinations of pieces.

IMG_0116.jpg

Once I had that I mixed up some mortar and started placing rocks.

IMG_0146.jpg

IMG_0147.jpg

I still need to fill in the joints but that is how it stands now.

How about a couple of night shots? I found some solar rechargeable rock-shaped lights at Home Depot...

IMG_0128.jpg

IMG_0129.jpg

Ask a Question