Stream Deconstruction: WOW look at this filtering system

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a/b
Country
United States
Let me preface this by saying this post is nothing more than my experience and not intended to be expert analysis. My intent is maybe those who don't want to spend money on expensive filtering systems( like me) can incorporate a similar set up and have the same success I did . After the second year(pond was entering its 5th season) I have not experienced green or cloudy water. It was clear to the deepest section about 28 inches. Water parameters always 0 ppm (same test kit has positive readings for Nitrates in my aquariums..so it works)

The stream was planted along the margins with the plants bare root and in pea gravel. The center section was goose egg stone from golf ball to baseball size. This is how it looked water drained before taking the rocks out.

_DSC0871.JPG

This after the rocks were removed and the root system that developed along the liner
_DSC0873.JPG
_DSC0875.JPG

This picture shows the amount of muck the roots were trapping and preventing the finer particles from entering the pond. The stream is feed by a 100 gal stock tank that housed Yellow flag Iris and in the late spring water hyacinth . The stock tank was pre filtered by a skimmer(DIY) that had 3 different Matala Pads . The divots in the muck were rocks that became embedded.
_DSC0874.JPG

The pond was home to 40 gold fish from babies to 7-8 inches, several frogs and other critters.

I am in the process of expanding the pond and stream. I will use the same filtering set up and add a small to medium wetlands upflow filter. Basically more plants. In addition to the variety of goldfish I plan on adding 3-5 koi.

He's not too happy with me right now. But wait to he sees his new digs....
_DSC0876.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
That's a great way to filter your pond. Basically you have created a bog to filter your pond. I love the frog. What kind is it? Are you concerned about cross breeding with the Koi and Goldfish? I have always had goldfish and have thought about adding Koi but was worried that I wouldn't be happy with their offspring.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
i love it , i have similar , lol the frog is like what the hell

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Love it, my stream ponds do a lot of filtering for the pond, they are full of plants and the stream does get a bunch of plants growing in it.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Thanks for sharing the pictures. I can't wait to see the new set up!

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Are you concerned about cross breeding with the Koi and Goldfish?
Keith I have both goldfish and a couple of koi that are 10-12 years old and have not had any cross breeding. I believe the koi are male and I have never seen them chase the female goldfish.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Plants have always been the best filters .I keep them in my filters so they can catch stuff .But with a stream they will catch every thing ,but trimming roots once in awhile will help keep the stream from overflowing .Sad thing is once you trim the roots, then they are not there to filter every little particle .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We plant watercress in our stream and waterfall every year. The mats of roots they produce are spectacular! And when I pull it out the amount of silt and dirt that I pull up with it is quite amazing.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a/b
Country
United States
That's a great way to filter your pond. Basically you have created a bog to filter your pond
That was my thoughts. Kinda of a hybrid stream / bog.
I love the frog. What kind is it?
Not sure think maybe a bull frog.
Are you concerned about cross breeding with the Koi and Goldfish?
I did not consider this . I have seen other ponds keep koi and goldfish together so I assumed it wasn't an issue

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I had koi and goldfish together and ended up with some really pretty mutts that every one here seems to want

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a/b
Country
United States
.Sad thing is once you trim the roots, then they are not there to filter every little particle .
True. What I will do now that I am aware of the root system growth into the stream bed is trim in sections if necessary . At the beginning of last season one bank was overgrown with forget me nots. Somewhere in July I pulled out 75 % of them and was worried I pulled too much. By the end of the fall more than 50% of what was pulled filled back in.

Ask a Question