Construction of The Hawkins' Family Pond

Reaction score
When I built the pond's net frame I knew that I would have to rebuild the part that would straddle the waterfall...

Here are a few pics showing the frame as it sits on top of the waterfall blocks.

IMG_0317.jpg

IMG_0319.jpg

IMG_0320.jpg

I cut some pieces and attached some new ones.

IMG_0322.jpg

IMG_0323.jpg

IMG_0325.jpg

With that raised member in place I had to remove the frame from the pond in order to reattach the cross members.

IMG_0331.jpg

IMG_0332.jpg

Little bit of spray paint and I was back in business.

IMG_0339.jpg

IMG_0341.jpg

Up to this point the net frame was always sitting on wood blocks. Now I could set the frame directly on the pond's wall as was intended. Not having the wood blocks everywhere sure makes it look better.

While the frame was off being worked on I took these pics...

IMG_0326.jpg

IMG_0330.jpg

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@randythawkins

Very nice, and Mr. Froggy certainly is enjoying it!

I am still intrigued by the frame for your net cover..... Any ideas/suggestions for making something similar, but on a larger scale? Anything I've tried to come up with doesn't have enough strength to span our pond. I recall from a previous post, you said you focus on triangles as the strength of your design.

.....but I was never good at geometry. Would you mind posting a drawing that shows HOW you fit the PVC pieces together, and what you would maybe do different for something say, 15' x 10'.

Reaction score
With the pond and falls pretty much done my work efforts now focus on the hardscape (flowerbeds, patio pavers, seating, etc) around the pond. One of those items is a table which will serve several purposes - a place to sit things when one is near it (e.g. A drink), a power outlet, a switch to control a nearby light, and a decorative focus for where it will be placed. I obtained from my father an old manual water pump and a stand he built for it. Originally I was going to use the pump as the water return line for the turtle pond but, since we nixed the pond, I needed to come up with another idea. I cleaned and painted the pump (pics to follow later on a subsequent posting) and added shelf brackets and electrical support to the stand -

IMG_0381.jpg

IMG_0382.jpg

I realize that seeing what has been done to the stand does not present much for the final product but stay tuned and, as I get further along with it, I will post more pics and my vision will be better understood.

The area between the falls, patio, and house is my primary hardscape focus area right now. Here it is -

IMG_0434.jpg

The table stand I mentioned above will be placed under the window, the ground will be leveled off and walking pavers will be set in place, a bench will be against the house under the bay window, and there will be a flower bed between the falls and the house on the left side.

In that (future) flower bed I set a light post.

IMG_0480.jpg

IMG_0500.jpg

Back to the table stand mentioned above...this light will be controlled by a switch in the stand. With the stand being placed near the existing patio it will be an easy and convenient location.

That is all of that work for now. Here are some more pics. That frog has taken up residence in the bottom of the falls and I can find him almost every time I search. Can you see him in the following pic?

IMG_0444.jpg

I got a few more plants from Home Depot and placed them in the fall's basin.

IMG_0460.jpg

IMG_0464.jpg

While at Home Depot I picked up a 3rd light for lighting the falls at night. Here are a few more pics showing that. (I really like these.)

IMG_0487.jpg

IMG_0491.jpg

IMG_0492.jpg

IMG_0495.jpg

IMG_0497.jpg

IMG_0498.jpg

Reaction score
@randythawkins

I am still intrigued by the frame for your net cover..... Any ideas/suggestions for making something similar, but on a larger scale? Anything I've tried to come up with doesn't have enough strength to span our pond. I recall from a previous post, you said you focus on triangles as the strength of your design.

.....but I was never good at geometry. Would you mind posting a drawing that shows HOW you fit the PVC pieces together, and what you would maybe do different for something say, 15' x 10'.

I don't mind at all. Give me a little time think it through so that I can do something meaningful. When I did mine I had a simple drawing, more in helping me visualize how many side I would need for a round pond, but most of it was done based on a fuzzy mental image. But, yea, give me some time and I will try to come up with something meaningful.

You said, "Anything I've tried to come up with doesn't have enough strength to span our pond". Can you explain more about what you tried and what failed along with any pics of the attempts?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The only thing I saw that may cause you problems is the mortar on top of the wood ,you should really have stapled tar paper to the wood as it may rot over time .It will absorb moisture .I just wait over that with a neighbor who bought one of the builders houses here .Went to help him install fire rated door on the garage and storm doors yesterday and he asked me to look at something they noticed behind the sofa .Well it was black mold and I knew why also the builder put a half stone veneer on the front of the house and watched his guys install it right over the plywood .Plywood is probably rotted .He has no recourse now but to fix the problem and with a new born in the house it better be fast .Simple fix pull veneer off and new plywood and bleach and new drywall and the just continue the vinyl siding .Builder did it to all his houses and glad he never touched my house with his cruddy fingers .

Reaction score
The only thing I saw that may cause you problems is the mortar on top of the wood ,you should really have stapled tar paper to the wood as it may rot over time .It will absorb moisture .I just wait over that with a neighbor who bought one of the builders houses here .Went to help him install fire rated door on the garage and storm doors yesterday and he asked me to look at something they noticed behind the sofa .Well it was black mold and I knew why also the builder put a half stone veneer on the front of the house and watched his guys install it right over the plywood .Plywood is probably rotted .He has no recourse now but to fix the problem and with a new born in the house it better be fast .Simple fix pull veneer off and new plywood and bleach and new drywall and the just continue the vinyl siding .Builder did it to all his houses and glad he never touched my house with his cruddy fingers .

Didn't think of that and probably should have but the wood I used is pressure treated so I will probably be long gone before that is a problem. Dimes-to-dollars that the plywood in the situation you mentioned was not - they don't put PT plywood on sides of houses. Good point though.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
pressure treated wood is not as good as it used to be since most of the wood is new growth trees and not old growth .I had 2 -4x4's rot and they were rated for ground contact .4 years later the whole bottom of them were rotted away .

Reaction score
@randythawkins

Mmathis - It has been awhile since this request and the length in time is not because I forgot - I have just been trying to figure out to best respond. Well, I really don't have a good plan so I figured I would just start and see where my typing leads me. So, here goes...

A primary goal when I built the net was to have a way for leaves NOT to collect on top of the net. I have seen many instances where people placed nets over their ponds stretching them flat and letting them float on top of the water. Whereas this would prevent leaves from sinking to the bottom of the pond the leaves would still collect at the top of the water and would still sit in enough water to make a yucky mess. I wanted a design that would allow the leaves that landed on the net to either roll off or blow away. The obvious solution to this is a sloped approach. Because my pond is round my slope would be highest at the center. The next step was to design a frame which would be higher in the center and I quickly started doodling plans similar to roof trusses.

A well designed roof truss is able to span large spaces and is self-supportive to prevent drooping in the center. The secret sauce is the cooperative way the sloped top and the flat horizontal bottom work together. I found this page which does a good (basic) job of explaining this interaction - http://makezine.com/2010/06/10/ask-make-how-do-trusses-work/. It also presents the idea of the triangles I have mentioned in the past. The triangles prevent the structure from racking to one side or the other which plays a major role supporting the span over the open space (in my case, the water).

Although my implementation is round/circular the same fundamentals can apply to a square/rectangular build. If you were to cut my structure in half, top-to-bottom and down the center, and look at it from the side you would see that my frame is similar to a basic roof truss -

trigtruss.gif

(Please ignore the measurement numbers. I found this image on google and borrowed it as a reference.)

If you were to build a net frame of a square/rectangular shape you would create several segments like that image above. In my case, since mine is circular, all of my segments share a common center high point.

So, with that somewhat convoluted description of the mechanics of my design, I will move on to the construction...

My pond is about 9' across. While at Lowe's I took various pieces of their 10' PVC pipes, ranging from 1/2" to 1.5", and supported either end to see how much droop I would have. They all tended to droop about the same. I decided to go with 1" as I felt it would give me the rigidity I needed at an acceptable cost. I could have gone with the larger size which would have provided minimal "better rigid support" but an significant overall undesirable increase in weight of the completed project. I really did not have a drawn-up design so I purchased a bunch of the 10' pipe and several handfuls of various fittings - T's, 90, 45, and 25.5 degree elbows and headed home.

I started the build by deciding how many sides I wanted on the lower outside ring and played around with the lengths of those side pieces until I was happy with it.

IMG_3960.JPG

I then moved it to a flat surface where I could step anywhere I need to. Once there I made an alteration for the rise over the skimmer box.

IMG_3964.JPG

Everything I did to this point was dry-fit. Nothing was glued as I was constantly taking apart and reassembling things. The rocks helped keep things from shifting as I worked - I wanted it to be equally circular and not oval shaped.

I cut into the sides and ran the lower cross members. Then I started working on the top angled part. In the very center would be my vertical post. Due to the limited options given to me by the various PVC connectors I decided to create a smaller circular part at the top and then run the vertical post from that.

IMG_3965.JPG

IMG_3967.JPG

IMG_3968.JPG

Then, I measured, cut, and placed the top angle pieces.

IMG_4002.JPG

Once I felt good about the results it was time to glue things. With all the angles I was concerned that I would not realign pieces correctly after applying PVC glue and that those subtle variations would add up and not end well so I decided to just use some super glue. I got the thinner stuff as opposed to the thicker gel because I wanted it to flow into the joints and not glob on the outside edge. It took awhile as I was careful not to miss any connection but I eventually got them all pretty well glued and, so far, it has held up very well.

So, my design was more driven by the connectors and the puzzle they presented for getting everything together more than any historically proven methods (other than keeping with the basic similarity to the truss shown earlier in this write-up).

With the net frame in place over the pond it has only a slight droop in the center which is not enough to concern me (right now). I will continue to watch it over time and see how the weather elements affect it. Oh, speaking of weather...last Winter here in Atlanta we had several snow/ice events and the net did collect some of that stuff. My intentions were to remove the net before those events as I was concerned what the additional weight would do but it showed no negative results.

That covers the mechanics of what I built along with, hopefully, a better presentation of the why it all works.

Mmathis - you say your pond is about 15'x10'. For that I would probably try building 4 roof truss shaped pieces - 2 for either end and 2 equally spaced in between. Wrap a PVC frame around the bottom and then some at the peek of the "trusses". Here, similar to the net frame I built to go over my settlement chamber:

IMG_4184.JPG

IMG_4185.JPG

That is much smaller than your needs and would certainly require a vertical post in the centers but, hopefully, that can provide a good visual starting point. Give me a couple of days and I will get on google Sketchup and see if I can draw up a few ideas there.

Did any of this help?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a
Thank you for all the pics of your waterfall! It gives me some ideas for changes to my own. I've got a similar space, but not quite as much height. Still, I think spreading my water path a little wider would be beautiful.

Reaction score
Thank you for all the pics of your waterfall! It gives me some ideas for changes to my own. I've got a similar space, but not quite as much height. Still, I think spreading my water path a little wider would be beautiful.

Thanks. Mine is wider than originally planned. Hindsight being 20/20, I am glad it turned out that way as it allowed for 2 'drops' of different heights. Actually, allowed is not the correct word...more like forced. Regardless, I am quite happy with mine and that variation that it provides.

Be sure to provide pics!!!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
WOW, Randy! That's great work, and something I can use as a structural reference. I'll see what I can do using your recommendations -- after all, we can always use MORE spare PVC pieces in the yard, LOL! [a reference to all of my other, failed projects & attempts at projects]

Almost embarrassed to show this, but it's my most recent idea....... [please don't laugh -- only I can laugh :ROFLMAO:]. When you said triangles, I literally thought triangles, ha! But of course, finding the appropriate fittings -- another matter. I like the truss idea -- the problems I've had in the past have had to do with support issues.

image.jpg

Reaction score
Almost embarrassed to show this, but it's my most recent idea....... [please don't laugh -- only I can laugh :ROFLMAO:]. When you said triangles, I literally thought triangles, ha! But of course, finding the appropriate fittings -- another matter. I like the truss idea -- the problems I've had in the past have had to do with support issues.

View attachment 74872

I see that I was not clear on the triangles thing - my bad. If you look at the truss picture in the last posting you can see 2 triangles - one on the left side of the center vertical support and one on the right with each sharing the center post. These 2 triangles help keep the center from drooping. Maybe that clears things some.

I will still put together a google sketch up drawing.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Did you say you got the lights at Home Depot? They look like rocks with a solar panel on top? Is that what you are using for all your lighting in the pictures you posted above? I love the light and the look of the rocks and it seems like it'd be easy to place.

Reaction score

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Thanks Randy, I found some solar spot lights at Wal-Mart but really like the rock idea better. These are great!! The pond is looking fantastic and I love the inventive water feature. Very nicely done!

Ask a Question