Container Pond Filter Recommendations

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Hello All,

I am an admitted novice, and have only had my pond for about 1 year now. I have a small 50 gallon container pond with live plants and a handful of fish. I had been using an Aquascape Filter/Fountain Pump designed for container ponds/gardens and it seemed to be working well up until recently. I've had lots of algae growing this spring and it seems to clog the filter quite often. Yesterday while feeding the fish I happened to put my hand in the water and received an electric shock (minor), and immediately unplugged the filter which removed the electric current from the water. In hindsight I recalled this happening a few weeks ago and I honestly thought that the cut I had on the finger which touched the water just burned due the the pH of the water (it had been a tad high at the time). I know that sounds stupid in retrospect, but I didn't associate it with a shock because it was such a minor sensation. Yesterday's however was a bit more apparent.

My first thought was, I can't believe my fish haven't been affected by this electrical current running through the water. I have noticed today that they seem more active than I recall them being, so perhaps they were affected after all.

My next thought is that I need to replace this filter/fountain sooner than later and I wanted to ask for suggestions as to what filters you all might recommend. Like I said I have a 50 gallon pond currently with fish and live plants.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and advice!!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
sorry to hear but it does happen .Seems like if you pull a pump at all by the power cord it can happen.All pumps that have prefilters will clog .You can add some liquid barley or provide the pond with more shade .Did you test the water with a liquid test kit .Algae is a way to tell you that something is wrong and grows to protect your fish from it .Do not over feed it will help it grow faster

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome! One thing to keep in mind about algae is that it grows best when it has a good food source (i.e., more fish waste or over feeding). And even when we don't add more fish, the fish we do have will grow -- bigger fish = more waste. Maybe you've outgrown your 50 gal container pond and it's time to upgrade....to a larger pond! It's called "pond fever," LOL! I can't help you with the filter/pump, though. I've had pumps die on me, but have never had one with an electrical problem where they shorted. You might Google small fountain pumps and see what you find.

If you have a picture of your container pond, we'd love to see it!

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Please replace ASAP! It may not have affected your fish yet but it will probably get worse. I would not put your hand in the water with the power on until you replace the pump. Is it plugged into a GFI? I lost an entire pond of fish to a voltage leak from a pump.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I've removed the pump completely. I've got an aerator in the pond, so the water will continue to be oxygenated despite the lack of fountain. And am researching small pond pumps nows to determine which one to get as a replacement. The fish seems to be much happier (more active) since I turned that pump off.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Hello and welcome! One thing to keep in mind about algae is that it grows best when it has a good food source (i.e., more fish waste or over feeding). And even when we don't add more fish, the fish we do have will grow -- bigger fish = more waste. Maybe you've outgrown your 50 gal container pond and it's time to upgrade....to a larger pond! It's called "pond fever," LOL! I can't help you with the filter/pump, though. I've had pumps die on me, but have never had one with an electrical problem where they shorted. You might Google small fountain pumps and see what you find.

If you have a picture of your container pond, we'd love to see it!

Thanks for the advice. I'm almost certain that I am overfeeding, and am making a conscious effort to back off. And you're right, I will be expanding my pond as soon as I'm able. I've gone back to school and an renting currently, but as soon as I've relocated and settled somewhere a bit more permanent I definitely want to look at getting a larger unground setup. I love the little starter I've got, hopefully it tides me over until I can give into my pond-fever. :)

Ask a Question