Newbie with container ponds in northern california

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello! Wow, what a great site you all have here! Just a quick intro, and then I'll post my questions in the appropriate categories. I have 2 ceramic urns about 10 gallons each that I turned into outdoor container water gardens about 1.5 years ago. Theyre doing great! Two goldfish in one (they eat the snails), and mosquito fish and what used to be a ton of snails in the other. Sweet flag, dwarf papyrus in both. I just added watercress too. Oh and anachris that seems to be dying maybe from cold. I also have a 35 gallon round preformed "pond" I keep in my community garden plot, which gets full sun all day (yep! Algae!) This is only 3 months old and I'm not sure I'll keep it there and btw, there's no electricity available at the community garden.

Looking forward to ponding with you all!!!

Anna

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Welcome and in the community pond do you have fish ,if not then get a cheap toilet bowl brush and remove what you can .You can then add some peroxide to clean up the rest .Algae will turn white and then you can easly remove it with a fine mesh net

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi Sissy,

Thanks for the Hello! :)

I do have fish in the community pond. I hear that children are enjoying looking for the goldfish. There are 4 feeders (still small) and maybe 8 or 9 gambusia. I'd like to add more and bigger GF, but not wanting to risk the investment until I figure out the equilibrium of the pond.

The local water garden store suggested that i add beneficial bacteria and grow watercress to cover surface area from sun. The watercress is doing great in the urns, but sort of sinking and just sort of hanging on at the community garden. Water does seem less green lately, but not crystal clear. I guess I should be more patient and let the plants do their thing!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Bad thing is ammonia from the fish may kill them all when it starts to build up .There needs to really be some kind of filter and oxygen .Not sure how long you have had them in the pond .I know here I have taken out several ponds for realtors that have been abandoned for years with nothing done to them and amazed when I see live fish .Makes you wonder sometimes .Most of that bacteria is just a money maker for the companies .Green will go away mostly when it is cool out but come back when water gets warmer

Reaction score
Country
United States
Here are pictures of my container water gardens. Very small, but I love them,and can't believe how much joy I get from staring at the water. :)

The purple pots hold about 8 gallons each. Both are just about self-sustaining - i pour off rain water and add when it gets low due to evaporation. I run a small fountain pump on the front deck pot on occasion when the GF seem unhappy. The back deck has mosquito fish and snails.

Attachments

• backdeck.jpg
    backdeck.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 208
  • commgardenpondfeb23.jpg
    commgardenpondfeb23.jpg
    263.7 KB · Views: 216
  • communitygardenFeb2018.jpg
    communitygardenFeb2018.jpg
    307.5 KB · Views: 224
  • front deck.jpg
    front deck.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 206

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Well they do look great and if they bring you and others joy that is all that counts .I llke people who try to bring a little joy to other people and them selves in this crazy world we live in .Great job

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum, it seems weird me saying that since I've only been here a short time myself but what the heck, eh? ;)

Given that the containers are all on the smaller side I would be worried about adding too many goldfish in the long run. Goldfish need a lot of water per fish to be truly happy and healthy and to help avoid problems with water quality as they get bigger. You might be okay with mosquito fish and snails with such small water volumes, but that's just my opinion and others may disagree.

They are nice looking container ponds and I have no doubt they bring many people joy and relaxation.

Ask a Question