President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
That would be "your point".

You have the privilege of being the latest addition to my "ignore" list.

Ta Ta

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I know we have had a couple of people on here that converted above ground pools and have seen them on you tube .All you can do is try it and if it fails then you know you will have to change your plans .No pond is ever the same

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
If I did mine the way people say it should be done I would never have had a pond .No bottom drain ,no skimmer for me ,but 2 filters .I could never afford a pro ,wish I could have because then I would have went pondless and saved my sanity and money .no fish .Koi are a pain in the butt .no one told me .Plus this pond liner had to be replaced more times than I care to admit .2 dogs and mole damage .I can see the point of most of pond installers trying to guide you as I used pondhunter and ponddigger on youtube to help me back then .12 years and I think my pond may come to it's end sooner than later .Pro's are a good source of info .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
We as ponders need to support a fellow ponder no matter what .They may learn the hard way but they need to give it a try .We can be there to guide them with there adventure .I remember my dads first pond with the water wheel on the side of the house and people called him nuts .Then the pond my dad and I built together it was fun and we learned from our mistakes .But it was bonding between a dad and his daughter .Believe me there were mistakes and I have made a lot in my day even with this pond .I don't call them mistakes I call them adjustments

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sigh...good luck with your "pond"

Everyone really seems to doubt the idea that it will work for some reason, and I'm not sure why really. It holds water, its level, it's had more than 10 people swimming in it at one time, so what's the difference in having 10 fish in it?

I'm 100% sure I'm gonna need a better pump, but what else is holding it back?
Sure it's not the typical pond most would want, but I don't have many options, and climbing a deck doesn't bother me, hell everyone around here has to climb one to get the front door lol.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Hey I have struck out 3 times because of moles and dogs so below grounds can fail also .I have not been a very lucky person with my pond .;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A, we are also very windy
Country
United States
Filters are going to be the biggest problem for you,
look up
  1. retro bottom drains
  2. Skimmers
  3. Skippy filter
on youtube, here in the DIY forums and in google; a samrt man learns from his mistakes, a wise man learns from other people's mistakes.
Next problem is going to be the PVC liner getting hard in a few years, It'll develop leaks, it's just the nature of the PVC beast; your fish are going to be big when that happens, plan ahead. After that the flat bottom is going to be a PITA to clean.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
pool net will work for that and on you tube I saw a guy on there that had a neat filter set up a couple of weeks back .Pvc can last for awhile I have to agree with that .Look at me fish over 2 feet long and I have had to change my liner 3 times in the last 9 years .I guess I am one of the unlucky ones out there .I was wondering about those robot things they put in pools ,would they work out not .Now that a pool question has come up I thought I would ask

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
11a
Country
Malta
I think it should work I used a jacuzzi it's going great up to now

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Lots of people have converted a swiming pool to a pond. You must change out your pump and filter however. NC weather is fine and the temperature in winter is mild. We lived in charlotte and had no problems. You can convert your sand filter to a bead filter, but I have never done it. Guys in the charlotte koi and watergarden society will tell you how. The pump is another matter. I'm not sure how to advise.

Also be extremely careful about swimming in a koi pond. There are bacterial problems. Never swim with contacts in. A pond is worse than swimming in a lake.

Ask a Question