Converting a pool

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 9b
Country
United States
My new neighbor, after seeing our pond, has asked me for help to convert his 8 - 10,000 gal pool to a large garden pond. I'm sure that this has been done before, but I see many challenges, ( and heavy lifting) as compared to my much smaller 400 gal pond.

I'm thinking of a sizable active bog for filtration and a water fall feature on the other (deep) end.

We would also like some kind of bridge across it and I'm thinking to somehow incorporate access to the pump through a hatch or something. Then there is the pool's system itself...should we try to utilize it or go all submersible?

Before blindly forging ahead, I thought I'd look to you on the forum for suggestions.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
What are the dimensions of the pool, and the depth(s) as I assume it has a change in depth somewhere? And what shape is it? Can you post a few pictures?

I don't have any advice about this, but I do know that it's been brought up before.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Here's mine.
big pond.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 9b
Country
United States

Thanks for that link...Timothy did a beautiful job. I'm not planning to do so much filling if I can avoid it. Having the deep end will help regulate the water temp here on the Florida Suncoast so I would like to maintain it at 6'.

I can't get any pic just yet as it still has a cover on it.
It is totally in-ground, kidney shape, 30' long, 14-10-11 width and 3' to 6' deep. A rough calculation would be somewhere between 10 & 11K gallons.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
they have video's on you tube of conversions from pools to ponds

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 9b
Country
United States
Are you planning to have a bottom drain?
No, in fact I plan to seal that up to prevent silt from entering. This is actually my initial consideration...should I even consider using any part of the existing pool plumbing or just seal them all up and run everything off of one or two submersible pond pumps?

Ask a Question