Could any of this apply to larger bodies of water too?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
We spent Easter at my parents' in Coldwater, MI, which got me thinking. They live at the end of a channel on one of the smaller lakes there. Their channel is really long but then does a little hook to where their dock is. The water there is always disgusting. I think someone comes out a couple times a year and dumps some chemicals in there, but it never really helps. Anyway, after reading all the info on here for the last year I'm wondering if any of these ponding methods would help clean this up for them. Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Yes, but probably not practical. Has to be scaled to the size of the body of water and conditions. Most pond methods came from methods used in lake management and waste treatment.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
That's to bad. They could build a waterfall at the end of the channel I think and it would look cool, just not sure how much help it would be. Although, they could care less about clearing the whole channel or even making the water super clear, Just decent and in the area that is theirs. I mean that water is so gross our dog jumped in once and came out black. Yuck!

Reaction score
I have seen some very large systems like that, waterfall, fountain and one was just moving water from the bottom to the surface. None had clear water. I think it was more like turning a compost pile, to reduce gases and odors.

Someday Zebra Mussels may come to the lake. They are in Indiana. When they came to the Finger Lakes in NY the water became super clear in short order. Of course lots of downsides too.

Ask a Question