addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Looking good CE and don't worry about the fish eating a little mine went crazy eating when I moved the lilies around, whatever got stirred up. They have been eating roots and stuff for quite awhile now.
That is going to be great, you new pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Thanks everyone. Keith, I would have room for several more ponds, but my family would likely get me institutionalized. LOL In fact, I've not told anyone locally that I'm building this second pond. Hoping to have it completed or at least with water and fish in it before anyone comes by. That's my personal challenge, so I have to move fast.
It rained a little last night, not much but Larkin I can sure appreciate if it's wet you can't dig. My dirt was pretty much dry, but the lower I go, the wetter it is. I'm getting really tired of mud sticking to the shovel, makes it that much heavier to heave ho! Hoping with the sunshine and warmer temps predicted for today (70's - Woohoo!!!), it will be plenty dry by the time I get home from work, and with the daylight savings, I'll have at least a couple of hours to dig before dark, which is enough. I'll go hard and heavy for those couple of hours, and then sit and relax the rest of the evening.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
With temps in the 70's this week, windy today (which is good, will dry out the little bit of rain from yesterday), and nice rest of the week, I see this pond getting possibly finished at least by the weekend, if not sooner! I want to get the main part dug, so I can measure and buy the liner. THEN, I will dig bog for all the extra width so I maximize the use of the liner. :) Hoping the bog will be at least 8' long and 3' wide, but maybe longer and/or wider.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You could do some digging before you go to work!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
You do great work CE! Hard work is good for the soul :)

Keep posting pics of your progress.

I love the second pic of Tarzan, he has such an intense stare going on into the pond. Silly kitty. BTW, he is very pretty.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Hold on ... HOLD ON!!! When did I miss the memo that everyone was to change their avatar to a cartoon character??? And, where are you all getting them from? No more pictures until I get a response! LOL

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Well, huh, I'm not smart enough to figure out where to find the cartoon characters. :-( Guess I'll just have to keep my photo unless someone can send me in the right direction. :)

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I swiped mine from his post! lol cheated.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
just google the charector your interested in find a picture copy it to your desktop then simply change your avatar here.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
OK, got it, I think, as far as changing my avatar ... we shall see!
Here are a couple pictures of my progress from this evening after work.
This first picture is taken from above, at the farthest end of the pond. I'm dealing with pretty large roots in the middle, so switched ends, and came upon some more big roots, darn it! This end is dug down to right at 3' at the deepest part where the shovel is, and with the 2 blocks that will be on the outer edge, I'm pretty much where I want to be depth wise on this end.
Digging progress, Day 3 evening.JPG
This next picture shows the limestone "shelf" that you see in the first picture on the lower right. I'm thinking that this chunk is going to get to stay put, since this would make the shelf (the only shelf I'm planning on for this pond) about 26" down.
Limestone and root.JPG
The root has to go, I know, but again, I need an ax.
I want to have some lilys on this pond, but want it to be more "heron safe", so this end with the shelf can have a short fence and fishing line across the top if necessary, to keep any possibly herons from wading in on the shelf. The rest of the pond will be about 3.5-4' deep.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I just typed in Old Cartoon Characters https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Old+cartoon+characters Click the links and when you find one rt click and "save image as" to your desktop like koiguy said and then go to your settings button here on the forum and change the picture to one you want. I might change mine again who knows,lol!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Well, yours hasn't changed yet, JW, and neither has mine. I thought I changed it to a really pretty rainbow colored fish cartoon but so far it's still pond pic. .... What is his post called? I looked for it but only found someone else's post that mentioned KoiGuy's post ... and no info on that ...

Ask a Question