BSquared18

Apond my soul!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
Hello,

Our backyard, concrete/rock pond is about 7-1/2 Feet Long by 5-1/2 Feet wide at the longest and widest points. Over the years, I've used various ways to cover the pond to protect the plants in it from raccoons. One method involved a frame with webbing. Now, I'd like a non-porous method that would keep out the raccoons and also protect against the chlorinated water from the sprinkler system (to keep the fish healthy). I'd like it to be lightweight since, sadly, I'm not getting any younger.

I considered corrugated, fiberglass roofing panels, but they would be fairly pricey. If anyone has any clever ideas on what materials to use that would be sturdy, lightweight, and not too expensive, please shout out. (Or let me know if what I want is "in my dreams."

Thanks,
Bill

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
One thing I can contribute is that chlorinated water from sprinklers shouldn’t be an issue. Water from a sprinkler will dissipate the chlorine while it is airborne. The finer the spray, the less lethal it should be. That’s how I add water when needed.

BSquared18

Apond my soul!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
Water from a sprinkler will dissipate the chlorine while it is airborne.

Thank you. That's very helpful information.

Update: After seeing your message, I found a very informative thread in these forums: Sprinkler system water.

It appears to corroborate your comment. Now, I just need to worry about raccoons!

Bill

Last edited:

Ask a Question