crawfish

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/7b depending on the map
Country
United States
Has anyone experimented with crawfish in their pond?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We put half a dozen crawfish in the first year - saw them once or twice a year for the next two years. Haven't seen them since. They might still be in there, but they sure aren't showing themselves!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
I was hoping they would inhabit the bog and produce little crawfish that would flow into the tank for immediate consumption. They do seem to need a muddy bottom to dig their burrow so maybe pea gravel is just no ttheir thing.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Do the ideas here ever end, I must look into this. A flow for immediate consumption @MajorDan , no dream is too big I say, if it happens ill even come with the side dishes

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Crawfish do fine without a mud or even pea gravel bottom. Put some in my first pond years ago, they hid in the folds of the liner. They got big around 5” or so. Crawfish are secretive, so you won’t see them much. They were still in that pond when I moved 9 years ago.

If they don’t have a place to hide when the shed/molt and become soft they will end up fish food. Also, have seen them climb out of water features or places they aren’t happy with.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
In my aquarium I had grass shrimp in the refugium and they kept my discus happy with batches of shrimp slipping into the aquarium. If the part of the bog that spills into the pond had some water maybe this would work until colder weather.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 9a
Country
United States
Years ago, I had some hitch a ride on some water hyacinth roots we picked up in our levee. They would come up and reach out for fish flakes to eat which was very cute. They pinched the fin off my baby koi though and ate one of my small shubunkins. When we did a big clean out I didn't want to put them back in after that.

Ask a Question