crayfish for the guppy tank?

Discussion in 'Indoor tanks' started by Nepen, Apr 25, 2014.

1. Nepen

Nepen

get one get one!!!

Nepen, May 13, 2014
    bettasngoldfish likes this.
    1. Advertisements

2. Nepen

Nepen

Update photo.

photo.JPG

The Crayfish are getting very brave and come out a lot now.

They ate all my sakura shrimp but one who's smart enough to hide higher in the tank.

I tried to sex them but seems like they are all female at the moment. Dont know if it'll change or not.

Nepen, May 21, 2014
    1. Advertisements

3. Nepen

bettasngoldfish Maria

I read that they are good escape artists so you need to make sure they can't get out of the tank ;) (by the word you I'm not necessarily meaning you personally just in general)

Just curious, What size tank are they in? I think they can get fairly big

bettasngoldfish, May 21, 2014
  4. Nepen

Nepen

They are in the old guppy tank, so about 40 gallon. I never really remember.
    I was planning on having them in my pond but I heard about them like 'taking a walk' too so I put them in the tank instead. They cant really swim, only climb, so it's not like shrimp that can go to the top. So as long as I dont have plant shooting to the edge of the tank, I'm golden ;)

I'm thinking I'll sell 2-3 of them when they are older and I know there sexes.

Nepen, May 21, 2014
    Dave 54 and bettasngoldfish like this.
  5. Nepen

Dave 54

Why not go one better my friend and start breeding them then you can sell more :D

Dave;)

Dave 54, May 22, 2014
    Nepen likes this.
  6. Nepen

Nepen

lol Dave. If I have more a pair then I might. But I'll also have to get them their own tank since they'll eat the baby too.

Nepen, May 22, 2014
  7. Nepen

HARO Pondcrastinator

Was poking around at the local Big Al's today when I saw the cutest thing... a tank with maybe a dozen tiny red crayfish, about 5/8" long. I thought THAT would be interesting in a ten-gallon tank! Looked over the labels on the tank, and there it was: "Miniature Crayfish ---$14.99!!
    That's about a million dollars a pound! Guess there aren't any mini crawdads in MY future.

HARO, Jun 3, 2014
    Nepen likes this.
  8. Nepen

Nepen

lol. I know it's expensive. My big one is a male, I can see it now. I cant see the other 2 (or 3) as they are half the size of the big one. I'll see if I can have the babies :)

Mine will get big though... 6 inches..

Nepen, Jun 5, 2014
  9. Nepen

Nepen

Update pictures, he's a biggin...

image.jpg

You can see the smaller one behind him.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Nepen, Jun 7, 2014
    bettasngoldfish and fishin4cars like this.
  10. Nepen

bettasngoldfish Maria

very cool!

So you think this one is a male?

bettasngoldfish, Jun 9, 2014
  11. Nepen

Nepen

Yep I think this one is a male. I saw the two little thing just at his last 2 legs...

I now can only find 3 of them... so one must' ve died and eaten. I'm hoping on of the other two is a female. I can sell one of them later.

Nepen, Jun 9, 2014
  12. Nepen

Nepen

ok now, the crayfish are destroying my plants lol. I will need to get more plants soon.

I've been feeding them live meal worm so they leave my plants alone but that didn't help much :(

One is huge
    One is small
    One is small with one claw missing...

wondering how old they breed...

Nepen, Jun 18, 2014
  13. Nepen

bettasngoldfish Maria

Hmm, I didn't realize they would eat live plants.....

I wonder what happened to the one missing a claw?

Have no idea on the breeding age.

bettasngoldfish, Jun 19, 2014
  14. Nepen

Nepen

me think the one missing claw was someone' snack ;) I need to get more hiding place for them. I looked around and noone mention how old is consider adult for the crayfish.

I don't mind them eating my plants actually. I was just hoping my plants would grow fast enough for them lol. I had to get some plants from the main pond for them and they munched on it so quick it was gone the next day.

Nepen, Jun 19, 2014
  15. Nepen

Nepen

Arg!!!!!!

My big guy ate the one missing claw little one :( May be I need to feed him more often! I just fed him 2 days ago a big mealworm. It said to feed them every few days, oh well.

image.jpg

Nepen, Jun 28, 2014
  16. Nepen

bettasngoldfish Maria

I didnt know they would eat each other :eek:

So what do you have left?

bettasngoldfish, Jun 28, 2014
  17. Nepen

Nepen

I only saw him today. I saw 2 yesterday, him and the other smal one but today I couldn't find the small one so he/she might already be a snack...

Nepen, Jun 29, 2014
  18. Nepen

Priscilla

We have crawfish wild here, blue ones. Its on the other side of the island, so a solid hour drive (which is like to end of the world for people who live on a small island and only spend 5 to 10 mins in a car a day. My sister and I decided it would be an awesome summer adventure for our boys to get some, in the wilderness ...... real adventure like. LOL!

First up - we are not good with maps and walking in the 'wilderness' swamp with four small boys is not awesome! We find the pond and catch two. We start getting creeped out, for no reason other than being in a swamp with mosquitoes and crawfish and who knows what else is wild in there, so we leave.

I put mine in my tank - disaster! He tore up all my plants, chased my fish, made a tunnel through my favorite plant, my tank is all floating roots, leaves and scared fish.

My sister watched hers at night, when the lights are out, he climbs on plants above the fish and tries to jump on them while they sleep or swim by.

My husband wants to eat this guy (LOL!), but of course, I can't allow that. He is in a tank on his own with NO plants or fish!

I have learned my lesson!

Priscilla, Jul 6, 2014
    Nepen likes this.
  19. Nepen

Nepen

lol Priscilla :) I heard that you should get them when they are small so they get used to the fish and plants.

I feed them meal worms that I raise for goldfish. I just bought the live ones (they were stored in the refrigerator) then I let them thaw out, feed them, and they multiplied like crazy.

My crayfish love the worms.

My plants are doing better, I dont have small rocks bottom, I have large ones and not many at that so my plants are mostly bare roots. They seems to love the fern type plants but they eat EVERYTHING!

They are living with my 2 catfish (and other top feeder fish), I saw them tried to catch the catfish but the catfish are too fast for them.

Nepen, Jul 7, 2014
    Priscilla likes this.
  20. Nepen

topofthehill1

I had one about 10 years ago before they were very popular. Mine actually had some weird/parasite worm that would pop out between its eyes every now and then. It had made a hole right in the middle of its shell and the worm would just pop up to from time to time. The combination of the two predators I will never forget. I still do not what this worm was.

They actually get pretty large and can take down fish larger than they are. I would probably lean towards overfeeding it if you don't want it to eat other fish.

topofthehill1, Sep 14, 2014
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question