crayfish for the guppy tank?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Yep I think this one is a male. I saw the two little thing just at his last 2 legs...

I now can only find 3 of them... so one must' ve died and eaten. I'm hoping on of the other two is a female. I can sell one of them later.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
ok now, the crayfish are destroying my plants lol. I will need to get more plants soon.

I've been feeding them live meal worm so they leave my plants alone but that didn't help much :(

One is huge
One is small
One is small with one claw missing...

wondering how old they breed...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
me think the one missing claw was someone' snack ;) I need to get more hiding place for them. I looked around and noone mention how old is consider adult for the crayfish.

I don't mind them eating my plants actually. I was just hoping my plants would grow fast enough for them lol. I had to get some plants from the main pond for them and they munched on it so quick it was gone the next day.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Arg!!!!!!

My big guy ate the one missing claw little one :( May be I need to feed him more often! I just fed him 2 days ago a big mealworm. It said to feed them every few days, oh well.

image.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I only saw him today. I saw 2 yesterday, him and the other smal one but today I couldn't find the small one so he/she might already be a snack...

Reaction score
We have crawfish wild here, blue ones. Its on the other side of the island, so a solid hour drive (which is like to end of the world for people who live on a small island and only spend 5 to 10 mins in a car a day. My sister and I decided it would be an awesome summer adventure for our boys to get some, in the wilderness ...... real adventure like. LOL!

First up - we are not good with maps and walking in the 'wilderness' swamp with four small boys is not awesome! We find the pond and catch two. We start getting creeped out, for no reason other than being in a swamp with mosquitoes and crawfish and who knows what else is wild in there, so we leave.

I put mine in my tank - disaster! He tore up all my plants, chased my fish, made a tunnel through my favorite plant, my tank is all floating roots, leaves and scared fish.

My sister watched hers at night, when the lights are out, he climbs on plants above the fish and tries to jump on them while they sleep or swim by.

My husband wants to eat this guy (LOL!), but of course, I can't allow that. He is in a tank on his own with NO plants or fish!

I have learned my lesson!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
lol Priscilla :) I heard that you should get them when they are small so they get used to the fish and plants.

I feed them meal worms that I raise for goldfish. I just bought the live ones (they were stored in the refrigerator) then I let them thaw out, feed them, and they multiplied like crazy.

My crayfish love the worms.

My plants are doing better, I dont have small rocks bottom, I have large ones and not many at that so my plants are mostly bare roots. They seems to love the fern type plants but they eat EVERYTHING!

They are living with my 2 catfish (and other top feeder fish), I saw them tried to catch the catfish but the catfish are too fast for them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I had one about 10 years ago before they were very popular. Mine actually had some weird/parasite worm that would pop out between its eyes every now and then. It had made a hole right in the middle of its shell and the worm would just pop up to from time to time. The combination of the two predators I will never forget. I still do not what this worm was.

They actually get pretty large and can take down fish larger than they are. I would probably lean towards overfeeding it if you don't want it to eat other fish.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
My big one was being so inactive for a long time. Then I read about it and they suggested adding iodine in the water to help with thei iodine deficiency which after 3 weeks of adding my crating is now a lot more active.

I have male and female. I hope they have babies :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
After a few months of my male crayfish acting sick and I learn that they need iodine so I gave him a dose every week. A few days ago he she'd his skin and now he's very active. He even caught him a dinner!!!

image.jpg

image.jpg

Poor Betta.

Actually he's been very active he and his friend the female caught themselves some food (the guppies).

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
As a Christmas gift for my lonely male blue crayfish, I got him a date! Well, it was earlier than Christmas, but what ever, it's an early Christmas gift for him :)

The moment I let his date in the tank, here's what happened...

photo.JPG

The lighter one is the male and the darker one is the female.

as of today, a few weeks later, I still see no eggs... but they said it could take up to a month for the eggs to come so I'll be waiting....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Nephen did you happen to catch on film the moment when he shed , that would be very interesting to see in slo-mo .
I've a feeling your going to be the forums crayfish expert before long, both look stunning and in rude health
I also think your going to have to find another tank ready for when the female goes about whatever she does with her eggs because pretty soon your going to be hearing the skitter of hundereds of tiny feet and pincers as the eggs all hatch out ..
Do you happen to know how many eggs they can acctually produce ?
By the way what on earth was that really colourful fish that hes eating ?

Dave

Ask a Question