cutting back plants

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Posted to a thread that was started earlier but it is not being updated so- brought my elephant ears and thalia plants in today and put them in a patio pond in my basement. Do I need to cut them back completely or can I leave the smaller leaves on them and let them grow? Have them in 10" of water with 2 grow lights. These plants were 8'+ growing in my window box bogs. Don't want to lose them as they were not cheap.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I don't know the answer to your question, but I'll be interested to see what others say. I cut back my elephant ears, dry them and store in vermiculite for the winter....and replant after Memorial Day. Kim

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I grew some elephant ears in the house last winter, they did fine, kept them in damp kitty litter in our sun room. Only died after I put them outside and we had an unusual freeze.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
As long as the elephant ears (or Taro's) are growing and putting out new leaves they can be kept in a moist environment and may over winter, If they die back completely remove them from the wet environment and keep them cool and dry.. many actually require a dormant period and some do better when they can go dormant. As for the Thalia, I cut all the dead back and leave the green growth as long as I can. Once they die back completely they can be removed and just watered once a week lightly or left in the pond and they usually will grow back. But if they are crowded in the pot from this year be sure and divide before restarting them next spring. They don't preform as well if they are kept in a crowded pot

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
My elephant ears and taro are brought in before it gets below 45 degrees and do relatively well inside. I only water them about once a month and just cut off the leaves that die off. They just keep putting on new ones all winter. So far so good for 3 years now.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Thanks for all the replies- Hadn't thought about the plants needing a dormant period. I'm going to watch them and see how they do in the water. Going to add a little miracle grow to keep them green.

Ask a Question